Re: [802SEC] Path to resolution of 802.11 VHT60 PAR

As part of the VHT60 group resolving comments from 802.15 WG, we were unsure
whether a specific standard (especially one that hasn't yet been approved)
could be mentioned in the scope of another standard. This was mentioned as
something NESCOM would object to having in the scope. We asked Paul and
requested clarification, but did not get anything contrary to that opinion.
For that reason, the committee elected to use "Addresses coexistence with
other systems in the band." This statement implies that the proposed
standard has addressED coexistence and I would think that lack of anything
in the proposed standard that handles coexistence would be grounds for
sending it back to the WG for changes. "Supports mechanisms to enable
coexistence with other systems in the band." would be a good replacement.
Having just IEEE 802.15.3c in this sentence could offend others in the
industry who may be working on other systems in the same band.

Secondly, the VHT60 committee included the following in the Additional Notes
section:

"It is in the best interest of users and the industry to strive for a level
of coexistence between wireless systems. VHT will investigate coexistence
with other systems in the 60 GHz band.
* One approach will be to investigate a common PHY between VHT and
802.15.3c, and adopt if feasible.
* Another approach is a common coexistence mechanism that may be used by
other 60 GHz systems"

This clearly addresses the issues raised by the 802.15 WG, but that group
was unwilling to read the whole document and insisted on just considering
the scope statement. It would have helped to have guidance from IEEE 802
leadership to explain some of the rules for forming scope statements and
explain that the "whole" PAR should be considered and not just the scope
statement.

Also, it may not be possible to adopt mechanisms that are being used in
802.15.3c to establish a coexistence mechanism suitable to protect either
system from the other system. Coexistence must work both ways. The result of
addressing coexistence may be a mechanism that would need to be included in
IEEE 802.15.3c as well. Will the IEEE 802 EC recommend that 802.15.3c be
held up until that common coexistence mechanism has been defined?

Regards, John

--
John R. Barr (John.Barr@Motorola.com)
Director, Standards Realization - <http://www.motorola.com>