Re: [802SEC] Electronic Participation in Interim Meetings

EC members (and other interested parties);

Below, please find a draft set of hypothesis and straw polls (metrics)
for the electronic participation experiment.  These were not fully
proofed by the originating group, but at this point so many people have
seen them I might as well distribute them.  They are of course open for
comment.

Unfortunately I have a lot more issues to deal with this week end, so I
need to sign off on this for a while.  I defer to Paul and the rest of
the EC to determine what happens next.  Again, this is just an
experiment to collect a data point.  This is not for permanent
implementation.  I recognize much debate is required at the EC level
before it can move beyond this experiment.

Best Regards,

Mat

Purpose:  To investigate the use of electronic participation at IEEE 802
interim session meetings.

Background:  There is interest in allowing electronic participation
(Teleconference, Webex, etc) at IEEE 802 Interim meetings.  As an
experiment, use of these techniques is being permitted at the January
2009 Wireless Interim just for the TV Whitespace Executive Committee
Study Group (ECSG).  As a precondition for allowing electronic
participation at those meetings, the IEEE 802 Chair has required that a
hypothesis be stated concerning what benefit electronic participation
would have, metrics be developed to validate or disprove the hypothesis,
and collection of data to which the metrics would be applied and
analysis conducted.  The analysis would be presented to the IEEE 802
Executive Committee for their consideration.  It is intended that if
electronic participation were generally permitted at IEEE 802 Interim
sessions the use of such techniques would be left to individual Working
Groups (WG) to decide.  If implemented, the Chair of the WG would need
to ensure that it is administered in a fair fashion. It is unlikely that
IEEE 802 attendance credit could be granted for electronic participation
due to various issues.

Hypothesis: The quality of resulting standards is higher if other IEEE
802 WG / external organizations can participate electronically at
interim sessions vs not having electronic participation at those
sessions.

Straw polls (Metrics):  The following questions shall be straw polled
(as metrics) during the last TV Whitespace ECSG meeting of the January
2009 Wireless Interim.  Both in-person and electronic participants
should participate and answer the questions as to how they personally
feel allowing electronic participation affected the parameter I
question.  Some questions allow an 'integer' range of response from
negative (-) 5 to positive (+) 5 including 0 (no impact or no opinion).
That is, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are the only valid
considered was impacted (overall) negatively.  Positive values imply the
metric was impacted (overall) positively.

How did you participate in the meeting - electronically or
non-electronically? (Electronically / Non-electronically)

Do you feel that the meeting was conducted more or less fairly with
electronic participants than without? (-5/+5)

Did having electronic participation available increase or decrease your
effectiveness in the standards process? (-5/+5)

Did having electronic participation available increase or decrease your
ability to participate in the standards process vs not having electronic
participation? (-5/+5)

Would you participate electronically if you were required to pay the
incremental costs for providing electronic participation? (Yes / No)

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Engineering Fellow
BAE Systems -  Network Systems (NS)
Office: +1 973.633.6344