Re: [802SEC] Status on Whitespace Electronic Participation Experiment (Update 2)

Guys,

Just to be clear, my view is that the tools are very useful even in our current meeting context.  The key is to apply them right.

	Don't use polling
	Need a way to charge for participation
	No attendance credit or voting electronically

I can only speak for myself (will start gathering polling data tonight) but while the meetings moved a little slower electronic participation brought in a wealth of outside participation and information that would not otherwise have been available.  Several presentations were made remotely, and the remote speaks contributed a lot technically.  So it is a trade, but for this case I believe the extra participation was worth the extra effort and slightly reduced speed.  Note that at time we ran out of agenda items and had time to spare.  So you should not assume the slower pace cost us anything.

I'm not saying IEEE802 should jump right in, but don't judge it so harshly.  Where the tools fell short was in the polling mechanisms.  I'm sure there are better mechanisms out there, but don't have time to investigate now.

Given my preference here would be my recommendation:

	Allow WG to add electronic participation if they so chose
		It is an additional burden
		Up to the WG chair if burden is warranted
	Must first find a way to pay a fee for its use
		Should not be free
	No voting or attendance credit

Again, I'm not pushing for this, but that is what I think makes sense me.  I plan to present the data I collect to the EC in March and then drop this.  If someone else wants to push it, they should feel free.

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Engineering Fellow
BAE Systems -  Network Systems (NS)