Re: [802SEC] Emergency services PAR

Dear Vivek and 802.21 members

I agree that the scope of the PAR appears to be very broad.  Some of the
issues are:
 1) Determining what is required for complaince with all regulatory
requirements for emergency services in all regulatory regions would be a
daunting project in itself.
 2) The project would need to define the mechanisms to support
compliance for every 802 MAC/PHY combination, which would be a
challenging task.

For 1) the best answer may be to explicitly limit the scope to a few
specific regulatory documents.

Since the project does not define a new MAC/PHY, it would seem to be
describing LLC functionality.

My suggestion in the 802.11 meeting for reviewing PARs was that the PAR
should define the services and interfaces that at MAC/PHY needs to
provide in order to support emergency services.  These would be
expressed in terms of MACs/PHYs (e.g., throughput, data rate, latency,
etc.) with control methods (e.g., MAC SAP or MLME SAP).  Then you would
need to define interface requirements at the LLC to Layer 3 interface so
that the higher layers could enable emergency services when required.

However, that description reads like a PAR scope for 802.1, not 802.21.

I think supporting emergency services over our networking protocols is a
good idea.  However, the first step may be to define the architecture,
as Tony suggests.

Regardless of the group that proposes this PAR, I think that the EC
should consider which group is the best home for this work based on the
scope.

Thanks

James Gilb
802 EC Recording Secretary