Re: [802SEC] some 802 history is captured here

John-

Oh, then ignore my previous message

What is in the front of the 1985 standard that you can consider historical material rather than standards boilerplate reads:

   The IEEE 802.3 Working Group acknowledges and appreciates that many
   concepts embodied in this standard are based largely on the CSMA/CD
   access method earlier described in/ The Ethernet/ specification as
   written jointly by individuals from Xerox Corporation, Digital
   Equipment Corporation, and Intel Corporation.  Appreciation is also
   expressed to Robert M. Metcalfe and David R. Boggs for their
   pioneering work in establishing the original concepts.

I hope this helps.

Geoff