[802SEC] Minutes from IEEE 802 WG P&P Teleconference - Friday 9/18 @12 PM EDT

Note:  If any participants see errors or omissions they wish corrected please let me know and I'll re-issue this e-mail.

Attendees:

Bob Heile
Pat Kinney
Jon Rosdahl
Mike Lynch
Wendong Hu
Geoff Thompson
Mat Sherman

Minutes:

The group convened about 12 PM ET.

Mat requested that people please send their comments on the ballot
            He doesn't want to be flooded the week of the plenary and have no time to resolve and socialize
Jon will send comments soon

Mat noted that some groups (SCC41) are being asked to pay for mentor services
            Nobody in the group was aware of such a request of IEEE 802
            Mat noted that in SCC41 the current use of Mentor was presented as experimental
            It was suggested that IEEE was evaluating how best to manage the mentor service
            Mat suggested people should keep their eyes open for a request that IEEE 802 pay for mentor services

The group discussed the draft amended IEEE 802 OM in document ec-09-0002-00-00EC

It is the same as the balloted OM except with changes to address Buzz's comment
Make opening LMSC Plenary meeting optional

Pat noted that the clauses could be better organized
            The locations of 'shall' statements should be unambiguous
            Clause 4.2 on the OM contains a 'Shall'
But it also include subclauses
If you reference the shall in clause 4.2 it is ambiguous if you mean the shall in 4.2 or one of the subcluases
Pat prefers that 'shall' statements are uniquely mapped to specific subclauses
Everyone agreed this was a noble goal but that to correct it globally was a lot of editing
The group decided to table the idea for now
Mat noted he would reconsider it at the end as a purely editorial effort

Geoff recommended rewording of the changes in subclause 4.1.1 that was accepted by the group
Additional rewording was suggested and accepted in 4.2

It was noted that 6.5.1 o) in WG P&P conflicts with 4.2 in OM
            We could reference the OM from the WG P&P instead of specifying it directly to resolve conflict
            We could eliminate the material from the OM and let the WG P&P govern
            No consensus existed on the right solution
Mat requested that people submit comments with their proposed resolutions to this issue

Mat noted that he will post an updated Draft OM revision to Mentor
            Jon suggested that including the date in each title was not necessarily the best approach
            He recommended a single generic title on mentor and then just do revisions to that title
            Mat agreed that this was a good idea
                        Mat will post all the Ballot documents to Mentor in the near future

There did not seem to be any further topics for discussion.

The group adjourned about 12:45 ET.

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
First Vice Chair, IEEE 802

Engineering Fellow
BAE Systems -  Electronics, Intelligence, & Support (EI&S)

Office: +1 973.633.6344
Cell: +1 973.229.9520