From: Johannes Lessmann [mailto:Johannes.Lessmann@nw.neclab.eu]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 4:55 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG; Gupta, Vivek G
Cc: Dirk.von-Hugo@telekom.de; david.chieng@bt.com; delphin.barankanira@orange-ftgroup.com; gj1@alcatel-lucent.com; aplaza@at4wireless.com; albert.vidal@i2cat.net; aoliva@it.uc3m.es; burak.simsek@fokus.fraunhofer.de
Subject: IEEE 802.21 for Wireless Backhaul Networks

Dear 802 EC members,

I would like to point your attention to an effort that has been going on within the 802.21 WG for about one year now. There has been considerable interest by a number of operators, vendors and research institutions on exploiting 802.21 for operating/managing wireless backhaul networks. Even though 802.21 was designed for media independent handovers, the standardized primitives have proven to be very suitable for operating wireless backhauls as well. Thus, the idea is to propose a limited set of extensions to 802.21 so that it also supports optimized management of heterogeneous wireless backhauls.

For more details, may I kindly ask you to have a look at the attached documents. Note that our work includes a joint testbed implementation - currently under development - to gain real-world insight and experience.

So far, the idea was well received by the 802.21 WG. In the July plenary meeting, we had a straw poll on the WG interest in creating a Study Group on this subject. The result was 16 /0 /2 (yes/no/abstain).

Based on this encouraging feedback, we would therefore like to go for a 802.21 Study Group request during the upcoming Atlanta meeting. While we have talked about these ideas with some of the EC members individually already, we felt it would be appropriate to share our ideas and plans with all of you prior to the Atlanta meeting. We have also asked the
802.21 WG chair, Vivek Gupta, to address a potential Study Group request in the EC meeting on next Monday morning, if this is helpful.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.

Johannes Lessmann

Dr. Johannes Lessmann
Research Scientist            Tel. +49 6221 4342 165
Network Research Division     Fax. +49 6221 4342 155
NEC Laboratories Europe       email: johannes.lessmann@nw.neclab.eu
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36
D-69115 Heidelberg, Germany

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014