Re: [802SEC] EC Email Ballot on Press Release

Hi Steve,

I think there are some spelling and grammatical errors that need to be fixed, or sentences changed....
If you don't mind I will start, maybe others will have a different opinion and they can re edit me...
Happy New Year to all, Nancy
Press Release
IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee Launches Project to Develop Standard on Coexistence of Wireless Networks in the TV White Space

Contact:
Steve Shellhammer, IEEE 802.19 Working Group Chair
+1 858-658-1874, shellhammer@ieee.org
or
Karen McCabe, IEEE-SA Marketing Director
+1 732-562-3824, k.mccabe@ieee.org

PISCATAWAY, N.J., USA, XX January 2010 – The IEEE 802.19 Wireless Coexistence Working Group received approval for a new project, IEEE 802.19.1, to develop a standard for coexistence between wireless networks operating in the TV white space.  In November 2008, add comma the United States Federal Communication Commission (FCC) issued a report and order (R&O) should give the exact FCC number that relates to the R&O providing the rules, under which unlicensed wireless devices can operate in unused TV channels, referred to as “TV white space.”  Regulators in other countries have also been considering TV white space regulations. These TV white space channels are the channels that are not utilized by TV broadcasts CATV Head-ends, nor professional wireless microphones in a given geographic location.

There are already delete already several projects for development of standards for wireless networks operating in the delete the TV white space.  The IEEE 802.22 Working Group for several years delete for several years has been developing a delete a standards should standard be plural? for wireless regional area networks (WRANs) in the delete theTV white space.  Recently the IEEE 802.11 working group initiated a project to develop an amendment to the 802.11 wireless local area network (WLAN) standard for operation in the delete the TV white space.  In addition to these two project, should be projects other initiatives for unlicensed wireless use of the delete the TV white space is likely.

The regulations for operation in the delete the TV white space do not restrict access to any particular type of wireless device. Since these wireless networks are unlicensed, add commaand they do not have exclusive access to the delete the TV white space. Therefore, in any given location there may be multiple types of unlicensed wireless networks accessing the delete the TV white space.  In some locations there may be many TV white space channels while in other locations there may only be a few TV white space channels.  According to the IEEE 802.19 Working Group Chair, Steve Shellhammer, “It is important that these unlicensed TV white space networks coexist well in conditions where there is an abundance of white space spectrum and also in conditions where there is limited TV white space spectrum.”

“Standardized coexistence mechanisms between wireless networks operating in the unlicensed TV white space spectrum are critical to prevent interference between different wireless technologies. The 802.19.1 project provides an excellent consensus-driven forum open to all stakeholders should be plural to develop that Standard,” according to Paul Nikolich the IEEE 802 Chair.

For more information on the IEEE P802.19 working group, visit http://www.ieee802.org/19/

About the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee
The IEEE 802® LAN/MAN Standards Committee develops LAN and metropolitan area network (MAN) standards. The most widely used standards are for the Ethernet family, Token Ring, Wireless LAN, Wireless PAN, Wireless MAN, Bridging and Virtual Bridged LANs. An individual working group provides the focus for each area. Decisions by the IEEE 802 task groups and working groups will shape communications for years to come. For more information about the IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee, see http:// ieee802.org.

About the IEEE Standards Association
The IEEE Standards Association, a globally recognized standards-setting body, develops consensus standards through an open process that engages industry and brings together a broad stakeholder community. IEEE standards set specifications and best practices based on current scientific and technological knowledge. The IEEE-SA has a portfolio of 900 active standards and more than 400 standards under development. For information on the IEEE-SA, see: http://standards.ieee.org.

About IEEE
IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.), the world's largest technical professional society, is commemorating its 125th anniversary in 2009 by "Celebrating 125 Years of Engineering the Future" around the globe. Through its more than 375,000 members in 160 countries, IEEE is a leading authority on a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power and consumer electronics. Dedicated to the advancement of technology, IEEE publishes 30 percent of the world's literature in the electrical and electronics engineering and computer science fields, and has developed nearly 900 active industry standards. The organization annually sponsors more than 850 conferences worldwide. Additional information about IEEE can be found at http://www.ieee.org.