Re: [802SEC] +++ 10 Day EC Email Ballot +++ Exec Secretary T&L Funding

John

Approve

Bob

At 10:06 AM 1/11/2010 -0500, John Hawkins wrote:
Dear EC members,

I should have brought this up in November, but alas it didn't get
done. Apologies in advance for cluttering your inboxes with another
email ballot.

Paul has delegated the conduct of the IEEE 802 EC 10-day ballot on the
following motion to me.

Motion:
The EC approves the use of IEEE 802 resources for reimbursement of
reasonable and customary expenses (e.g. airfare, hotel, meals, etc)
for Buzz Rigsbee, the IEEE 802 Executive Secretary, for the following
plenaries, or until he is replaced, whichever is sooner:

    - 2009 November plenary
    - 2010 March, July, November plenaries

Such reimbursement will be not to exceed $1,000 per plenary, averaged
over the period

Moved:  John Hawkins
Seconded: Steve Shellhammer

Start of ballot: Tuesday 12th January, 2010
Close of ballot: Friday 22nd January 2010, 11:59PM EDT

Early close: As required in subclause 3.1.2.2 'Electronic Balloting'
of the IEEE project 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) Operations
Manual, this is notice that this ballot may close early once
sufficient responses are received to clearly decide a matter.

Rationale:

 - As most of you are aware, Buzz has now formally retired from Boeing
and therefore has lost them as source of support for attending our
meetings. Fortunately for us, Buzz is willing to continue his service
as Executive Secretary for the IEEE 802. Given the complexity of this
function, and the significant time and commitment involved, this is a
positive for us.

 - The motion proposes that we cover his expenses, at least in part.
Mostly these would consist of airfare and local transportation, but
may also involve hotel/meals in certain instances. Note that hotels
often "comp" Buzz's room expenses given his role in negotiating
contracts on our behalf, but there could be an exception here or there
so I'm leaving the motion open to that possibility. Note also that we
are limiting the commitment to actual expenses, not to exceed $1,000
per plenary on average and would be limited to the listed sessions
requiring new approval thereafter. This is modeled after the approach
we used with supporting Arnie's T&L a few years ago, and certainly is
a level we can handle within our current budget.

 - I have communicated with Paul and Buzz and we agree that this is
not a long-term solution, as Buzz will someday  desire to "retire"
from IEEE 802 as well. We agree that a succession plan is needed and
are investigating the best way forward there. This will be a difficult
function to fill with a volunteer, as it involves little
technical/standards work, and yet consumes significant time and
commitment. Since Buzz is willing and able, I think this is a wise
investment of a limited amount of our funds in the short term.

Regards,
John

----------
This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.

Bob Heile, Ph.D
Chairman, ZigBee Alliance
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
Co-Chair IEEE P2030 Task Force 3 on Smartgrid Communications
11 Robert Toner Blvd
Suite 5-301
North Attleboro, MA  02763   USA
Mobile: +1-781-929-4832