From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of John Hawkins
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:39 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] FW: [802SEC] +++ 10 Day EC Email Ballot +++ Exec Secretary T&L Funding

Folks,

Thanks for the good points being made by all (and I see David's email
came in just as I'm typing this). I appreciate the constructive and
helpful tone that has been set (and would expect no less from this
group).

I suspect more votes might "flip" given some of the points being made,
so let me attempt to suggest a way forward.

First, I'll see if I can synthesize the major points:

1. On balloting by email:  I agree that the mechanics are
less-than-satisfactory. Voting on the motion, discussing the merits of
the motion, proposing amendments to the motion, flipping votes on the
motion,  all go on simultaneously which leads to no lack of confusion.
Perhaps we can change that in the future, but it is what it is, and I
don't propose we change that just now.

2. On making decisions that haven't been socialized with or endorsed
by the WGs: I can see the point, BUT do keep in mind, we are an
executive body that is here to make executive decisions. Sometimes the
matter is time-sensitive, or is just not of major import to the WGs.
Just as in corporate governance, shareholders have the right to direct
the board of directors to a given position and ultimately to replace
them should they find themselves not being represented adequately. But
that doesn't mean the board polls the shareholders on every issue that
comes up.

3. On changing our "ongoing practices" without endorsement of the WGs:
I couldn't agree more. Hence trying to make sure this requires annual
approval by the EC.

4. On "conflict of interest":  I'm not sure I follow the entire
argument just yet. Furthermore, not sure how outsourcing or dividing
the function changes the basic facts in that regard. But I agree, this
is best left to a live discussion. Again, my apologies for leaving
this off the November agenda.  I expect the same won't happen in March
(i.e. don't book that early flight home :-).

5. On the issue of precedent: David points out correctly that the
motion on Arnie's arrangement included the "without precedent"
language. I left it out of this one because I didn't see what it
accomplished. Perhaps I do now given the current discussion. I'm happy
to re-include it if it helps. But note I'm not arguing we
must/should/can do this because we've done it before. I'm just saying
it's a similar situation: we're in a similar bind, and this approach
relieves the pain point. That's all.

6. On being mandated by SA to spend money: Simply not the case here.
Whether it was before or not may be relevant to the precedent question
above, but is not the case here.

7. On the impropriety of retroactive payments: I apologize again for
overlooking this in November. I've spoken with Buzz, and he has agreed
to forgo that reimbursement request.

8. On the basic fairness of only reimbursing select EC members'
expenses: Again, I can see the point, but in my mind this is a
temporary supply and demand question. At this specific point in time,
we have a specific demand that Buzz can readily fulfill, given a
little (and I mean a little) financial support. I'm not saying any EC
member is replaceable, but I have a hunch that the set of people
willing to volunteer to run a WG is larger than the set of people
willing to *volunteer* to be Exec Sec. For most people this is simply
a matter of being able to deliver more value to the standards process
and to their sponsors as a WG chair than as Exec Sec. So we have a
significant demand, and a small supply. Furthermore, this is a
temporary problem which we are saying needs to be addressed long term
(some of you have suggested a few approaches). As I see it, this is
the path of least resistance just now. Consider the cost of even a
single "botched" meeting. We've come close before, but a talented and
well connected Exec Sec was pulled our stuff out of the proverbial
fire. Throwing this function to the first willing person that comes
along could lead to a very costly learning curve.

9. On there being better ways to accomplish this: I'm very glad to
hear that, as I've been struggling with it for some time. Let's talk
about it in March (actually, let me know your thoughts before then via
email/phone/etc).

So what now....

I'd propose to do the following:
1. Re-word the motion to include the "without precedent" language
2. Re-word the motion to cover March expenses only (per Geoff's suggestion)
3. Re-issue the motion and call for new votes, with a new 10-day clock
4. Schedule a longer discussion for March
5. Formulate a succession plan for discussion in March

Paul, can you  comment on this approach before I go off half baked?
Perhaps the best formal approach is to take Geoff's suggestion and
rule the current motion out of order as to allow for the new one? Your
call there.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.