Re: [802SEC] Hotel problem

Hi Buzz,
  There are two things that are playing out at the same time.
There is the registration discount for paying early, and then the "zapping" for not staying at the venue hotel. I presented these details to the 802.11 WG last month at our meeting, and for the most part was fairly well received.
The problem comes in how do you justify the difference in prices.
It does make a difference to most people if you tell them they get a discount as apposed to a service fee.

We (802.11/802/15 joint Treasures) presented our financial numbers in a way to help people see the incremental costs of late registration.
https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/10/11-10-0074-01-0000-treasurer-report-january-2010.ppt

The "discount" for paying early is very important for getting folks to pay early. We see a spike on the day of the deadline for each step of the registration fee.
The "Zapping" fee (Surcharge) can be explained with a good simple example:
  For the Wireless Meeting, if we had not had a room block,
we would have had to pay $550,000 for the rental costs just for the rooms, breaks, lunch == about $1200 per person.
  See slides 14-17 of a presentation I gave to try to explain the issues.
https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/10/11-10-0076-01-0000-first-vice-chair-report-january-2010.ppt
due to meeting our room block, we did not have to pay the $400,000 for meeting space. We also are able to show on the Treasury report that we got "credits" for having met our commitment.

I do not dispute that it is half a dozen of this verses half a dozen of that, but I have found that people do find the positive light description more palatable. I think that (as you noted) once we explain the rationale, that most people are generally understanding and in some case grateful to have the "surcharge" (mtg space service fee) to help justify staying at the venue hotel.

I do believe that when you purchase most things, there are discounts and service charges. We should find a way to describe the process in way that is factual and positive to help people understand the costs and fees that are charged are necessary as we all are working hard to keep to the budgets balanced and the expenses to a minimum.

My .02,
Jon
802.11 Treasurer
802.11 WG Vice-Chair