[802SEC] [PRIVATE] +++EC 'early close' Email Ballot+++ to authorize $1200 expenditure for P1905.1 draft access

Paul-

I will reluctantly endorse the expenditure to expedite the process and provide our review on hopefully a less contentious basis.

However, I believe that it is unprecedented and deeply, fundamentally WRONG for the IEEE-SA to make it difficult and to charge for what is essentially coordination between standards committees-
- both of whom are within what the SA alleges to be their family
- who have basic service and interoperability interfaces between each other

I would therefore propose that the 802 EC initiate action at its November meeting to bring this matter before the SA-SB and the BoG to have the billing nullified and any funds transfer reversed on the ground that the action was contrary to the appropriate procedures for the development of quality standards.

This whole business is a great example of rule by bureaucracy to the detriment of the operation of a business. Providing oversight and repair to situations like this is precisely the purpose that oversight governance boards are supposed to achieve. Whether or not they manage to do the right thing and fix this will be, in my view, a litmus test of their ability run a decent SDO that takes on standards for systems.

(Please note that I have not sent this to the reflector. I think it unwise to tell staff that this action is being discussed before we actually are granted our review. Please do not mention this in your response to the vote which should be sent to the reflector.)

Best regards,
Geoff