Re: [802SEC] Provision of obsolete draft standards to members

Aside: I had a bit of trouble parsing the meaning of “obsolete standards of drafts” – based on your parenthetical description, “drafts of obsolete standards” would be more accurate.

I don’t believe that there is any need to remove them and they should stay available. 802.1 has not removed access. At times we have used them to track down history of a problem and determine a fix. In an ideal world we would be perfect and this would never be necessary, but occasionally errors occur especially when multiple amendments are on the same standard.

By the time an amendment is obsoleted by a revision, the published version has already been available on Get802 and using access to a draft in place of buying a standard when necessary would be economically foolish.

Deleting access to drafts wouldn’t be likely to prevent 1 in your first list or help with 2 and 3 in your second list because by the time the standard is released and then obsoleted, there are already many copies of the drafts off the server.

I fairly frequently find I need to refer to old drafts for various standards development reasons. E.g. to answer “when did we make that change” often as part of finding out “why did we make that change”. Doing that helps in finding the right comment resolution or presentation to back track the history. In many cases, I have the copies in my own archives but sometimes I just looked at the draft on line or need to replace a corrupted copy. Therefore, in my experience having access the old drafts still has uses for further amendment, revision and maintenance of our standards.

Regards,

Pat