Re: [802SEC] +++ECM: Motion for 802.15.3 Revision PAR Title Change

Geoff

The addtion of the word multimedia to the title we discussed at the closing EC meeting was in response to your comment.  That IS what this MAC is all about, maximize throughput, minimize dead air time, while maintaining QoS through dynamic GTS and a variable Contention Access Period.  When it was first completed in 2003 it was totaly unique in this regard. It is still unique in that it can still support higher sustained throughputs for Multimedia since it is not addressing, nor does it effectively address, typical LAN applications. It is able to totally optimize for this particular class of application.

The 802.11 LAN MAC was modified to better support multimedia, and does an admirable job for what it needs to do, but for good reasons it can not achieve the range of performance a dedicated multimedia MAC can to effectively address the corner cases. Short of putting "not a LAN" in the title in addition to the word multimedia, I am not sure how to convey this in a simple way. Using WPAN in the title does not correctly reflect its content in any meaningful way.  If multimedia is not descriptive enough for a multimedia opitmized MAC/Standard, I am open to suggestions as to how to make it succinctly more descriptive and content relevent. I personally think that highlighting multimedia exclusively rather than LAN is a reasonbable approach, conveys a distinct focus, and is certainly more appropriate than the current title with WPAN. So I would urge support for the motion.

Regards

Bob