[802SEC] Comments on 802.3ca and 802.3cb PARs and CSD

David

My comments on the PARs are as follows:

802.3ca

 -General question: With wireless standards, we often specify a target
 operating range.  Is there a reason why a target distance is not
 specified for NG EPON?  It seems that the stakeholders would have
 some expectation of the length of fiber over which this standard can
reliably deliver the advertised data rate. This distance should be stated in the scope

802.3b

 -General question: With wireless standards, we often specify a target
 operating range.  Is there a reason why a target distance is not
 specified for this standard?  It seems that the stakeholders would
 have some expectation of the backplane distance or copper twinax
 length over which this standard can reliably deliver the advertised
 data rate.  This distance should be stated in the scope.

CSD

 Compatibility: This 5C states that "shall be compatible with 2.5 Gb/s
and 5 Gb/s MAC operation being defined in IEEE P802.3bz".  If so, then
the PAR (5.3) should reflect that this standard depends on the completion of IEEE P802.3bz.

James Gilb