Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day ECM – Early Close +++ IEEE SA participation in TSN/A Conference

John,

Please note that I changed my vote to approve below after you responded to my inquiry.

john

From: John D'Ambrosia <jdambrosia@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:35 AM
To: John Messenger <jmessenger@advaoptical.com>
Cc: Jon Rosdahl <jrosdahl@ieee.org>; STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day ECM – Early Close +++ IEEE SA participation in TSN/A Conference

Approve

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 25, 2018, at 1:15 AM, John Messenger <jmessenger@advaoptical.com> wrote:

Hi John D and Jon,

In 2017 we distributed flyers at the conference promoting TSN for industrial networking.  This year that flyer has been updated and an additional flyer added promoting TSN for automotive networking.  These flyers have been written by 802.1 members with assistance from IEEE SA staff.  They are very specific to 802.1 and TSN.  Last year IEEE 802.1 volunteers attended to do booth duty and hand out both our flyers and IEEE SA general marketing material.

This year, IEEE SA will again share a table with Avnu (as last year) and this will be staffed by volunteers from 802.1.  Hermann Brand will attend for one of the days from IEEE SA – I’m not sure if he is intending to do booth duty.  There will be several 802.1 volunteers available on both days of the conference, including me.  Also, Janos Farkas (TSN Task Group Chair) has a keynote speaking slot as an individual (not as an official representative, and including the appropriate disclaimer on his slides), jointly with a member of Avnu Alliance; and has another slot for a joint presentation with the chair of the joint IEEE 802/IEC project 60802 on Industrial TSN (with a disclaimer).  While these are not a consequence of participation as “lead exhibitor” they are good opportunities to publicise the 802.1 standardisation efforts.  The keynote presentation emphasises IEEE 802 as a neutral venue for development of standards with the individual representation and describes the principles of due process, consensus, openness, balance and right of appeal.  For these reasons, I think 802.1 will be firmly in the driving seat of the messaging.

Regarding the benefits to 802.1 and 802, my opinion is that the opportunity is the same as it was last year, remaining as Jon quoted in the email he sent on Sept 21. The setup is the same as last year, when IEEE SA was also billed as the lead exhibitor.  I understand from Glenn that the reason it’s “IEEE SA” listed as lead exhibitor is that “IEEE 802” of “IEEE 802.1” do not exist from a meeting sponsor (“lead exhibitor” in this case) liability aspect.  IEEE-SA does and that is why they insisted on using this last time (and this time).  In a similar vein, IEEE-SA signs the hotel contracts for IEEE 802 plenaries.

I do not see any practical downside to IEEE SA being the lead exhibitor.

Regards,

                -- John