Fwd: Re[2]: SUO: Starter Ontology Version 2

This is a forwarded message
From: Leonid Ototsky <leo@mmk.ru>
To: West, Matthew MR SSI-GREA-UK <Matthew.R.West@is.shell.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 01, 2000, 11:59:12 AM
Subject: SUO: Starter Ontology Version 2

Dear Matthew and Doug,

Suppose your discussion around "degree of hotness" has close
connections with the "Classification Duality Principle (CDP) ... " I mentioned in
or similar" and  a member of  "particular degree of hotness" class could be the
same, but from the CDP point of view they belong to different Dual parts of a
classification system . The first one - to "Taxonomy" and the second one - to
"Meronomy" . There were discussed a lot about a "source subject area"
of a classification system which is class and transformation it into a
"classification field" which is a set and which is a "reality" for a
classification system with "minimal taxons" as source units. There
were discussed such themes as hierarchy of taxons founded on "pure"
combinations of independent "merons" (the very close to "properties" but
suppose some more wide concept). Also there were discussions around "constructing"
classes "bottom up" from properties - "merotaxons". Suppose a "Particular degree
of hotness class" is typical merotaxon.
There is another problem connected with the "degree of hotness" example .
It is connected with taking into account an "engineering semiotics"
mentioned in one of my previous messages.   Indeed "degree of hotness that when
mapped onto the Celsius scale gives the number 21" it is an
implementation of one of the "quantitative semantical scales" to the
"temerature" property . From the Pragmatic point of view there could
be defined a "normal" value for the temperature which is implemented
may be not only to the human beings. There could be defined a
correspondence between the values (for example 18-25 Celcius degrees).
For this there could be defined many different classes
(merotaxons) depending on chosen "subject area".

Leonid

WMMSGU> Dear Doug,

WMMSGU> I was just missing what you were trying to say.

WMMSGU> See comments below.

WMMSGU> Regards
WMMSGU>       Matthew
WMMSGU> ============================================
WMMSGU> Matthew West
WMMSGU> Operations & Asset Management
WMMSGU> Shell Services International
WMMSGU> H3229, Shell Centre, London, SE1 7NA, UK.
WMMSGU> Tel: +44 207 934 4490 Fax: 7929
WMMSGU> Mobile: +44 7796 336538
WMMSGU> E-mail: Matthew.R.West@is.shell.com
WMMSGU> http://www.shellservices.com/
WMMSGU> ============================================

WMMSGU> MW: Yes all of those.

>> To say
>> that
>> it is a member of a class of "degree of hotness" seems
>> completely off base.

WMMSGU> MW: Ah maybe I see the confusion. When I said "so that degree of hotness is
WMMSGU> a class" I did not mean " so that it follows degree of hotness is a class"
WMMSGU> but "so that particular degree of hotness is a class".

>> I would grant that a room might reasonably be viewed as a
>> member of the
>> class
>> of 'things-that-have-a-degree-of-hotness',

WMMSGU> MW: Correct.

>> which would
>> include any physical
>> object but exclude things like dreams, or poems. There is
>> also a class of
>> 'measures-of-degree-of-hotnes' of which '21-celsius' is an instance.
>>
>> Mike

Best regards,
 Leonid                            mailto:leo@mmk.ru

Best regards,