Re: [STDS-802-11-CAC] Recorded voting for straw polls

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Chairs' Advisory Committee Reflector ---
Marc,
         thanks for raising this issue.

My answer is no for two reasons:

1) Straw polls "...are typically used to select between alternatives before spending (potentially lengthy) time crafting a motion that has a better chance of success.  Straw polls have no formal effect; their outcome is not binding on the operation of any group." [802.11 Operations Manual]. Therefore, it should not be necessary to know the straw poll decision of any individual. If straw polls are being used to determine the technical direction of a task group, then I think something is wrong.

2) This will place a burden on the secretary to correctly record everyone who participated in a straw poll in the minutes. With the current Webex tool, this is quite easy; but what happens when we return to face to face meetings? The whole point of a straw poll is to quickly determine the feeling of a group, before moving on.

Ok, back to reality !  I understand what is happening in some task groups and appreciate that for some recent straw poll decisions, it would certainly be useful to have a record of how folks voted. However, if we want to have an option to allow recorded voting for straw polls, then I think we need to start by updating the 802.11 operations manual or the 802 policies and procedures to formalise straw polls. I personally do not want to go in this direction.

Kind regards

Stephen