From: Claudio Da Silva <000015f3cbee3aeb-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 1:03 AM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-11-TGBF] Comments on 1321r1 and 1322r1

WARNING: This email originated from outside of Qualcomm. Please be wary of any links or attachments, and do not enable macros.

Hi Solomon,

Please find a few technical comments on your contributions 1321r1 and 1322r1 below.  I would appreciate if you could consider them.

Thanks,

Claudio

My understanding of 1321 and 1322 is that the following changes are being proposed:

  • Modify the current definition of “sensing session” (specifically, “A sensing session is composed of one or more of the following phases: setup phase, measurement phase, reporting phase, and termination phase.”) with “A sensing session is (a) pairwise agreement between a sensing initiator and a sensing responder to participate in the WLAN sensing procedure” (first paragraph of 1322).
  • Add to the SFD the following new definition: “A sensing procedure is composed of one or more of the following: WLAN sensing procedure setup, WLAN sensing measurement instance , and WLAN sensing termination” (second paragraph of 1322).

If my understanding is correct, I would encourage you to modify the text of the SP found in 1321 to clarify the scope of the proposed changes (redefinition + addition).

[ST] Your understanding of the change is correct. Please note that the SP in document 1321 is devoted to the change of the outline. There are two more SPs in 1322. Do they cover both meanings of the proposed changes?

The proposed “WLAN sensing procedure” incorporates both TB and non-TB approaches.  While both approaches have been discussed in TGbf in the past, only the TB approach has been approved by the group so far (motion 25c).  Thus, it is important to call the group’s attention to the fact that a consequence of approving the changes suggested in 1322r1 would be to define a non-TB approach.

[ST] I am not sure I agree that having it in the outline invites people to define the non-TB approach. Although there is no motion to adopt the non-TB approach yet, contributions 990 and 1015 already discuss this approach. I think including it in the outline indicates place and order that the definition of the non-TB approach may require if someone thinks to provide it.

The WLAN sensing procedure defined in 1321 is composed of a number of “elements”/”phases” (slide 5), many of which haven’t been discussed in TGbf yet.  As a result, several sub-sections proposed to be included in the SFD in 1322 are understandably empty.  At the same time, 1322 includes text for both “WLAN sensing measurement setup termination” and ”WLAN sensing session termination phase.”  This topic (termination) is not discussed in 1321 nor in any previous contribution to TGbf.  Could you discuss the proposed addition in 1321 (or in a future contribution)?

[ST] The “Termination phase” already exists in 504. Slide 6 in 1321 illustrates both new proposed terminations. 1322 suggests changes aligned with the overall approach presented in 1321.

So that 1321 and 1322 match, “WLAN sensing termination” (defined in 1322) must be defined to include/be composed of “WLAN sensing measurement setup termination” and “WLAN sensing session termination” (defined in 1321).  (This is similar to what is proposed for the setup: “The WLAN sensing procedure setup includes the WLAN sensing session setup and the WLAN sensing measurement setup as defined below (7.1.2, 7.1.3)”.)

[ST] It is fine with me. Do you agree to change the sentence in 1322r1 like ” WLAN sensing termination includes the sensing session termination and the measurement setup termination may be terminated as defined in 7.1.5 and 7.1.5a respectively.”?

On page 2 of 1322, we have “A sensing session is (a) pairwise agreement between a sensing initiator and a sensing responder to participate in the WLAN sensing procedure.”  Given that the text defines that “a sensing session is … agreement between a sensing initiator and a sensing responder…”, is the word “pairwise” necessary here?  (Please note that “pairwise” is defined in 802.11-202, page 167, as a term “used to refer to a type of encryption key hierarchy pertaining to keys shared by only two entities.”)  It may be worth to modify “A sensing session is pairwise and is identified by MAC addresses and/or associated AID/UID” as well (delete “is pairwise and” is OK given that this is already defined in the previous statement).

[ST] Would it be OK with you the following that moves one more sentence to the definition?

A sensing session is an instance of a sensing procedure with associated operational parameters of that instance pairwise agreement between a sensing initiator and a sensing responder to participate in the WLAN sensing procedure. (Motion 8, 20/1849r4). A sensing session is pairwise and is identified by MAC addresses and/or associated AID/UID (Motion 23, 21/0644r4).

In 1322, the text “NDP can be used for the channel measurement (e.g. CSI)…” is suggested to be moved under “NDPA sounding phase.”  Should it also be added to “TF sounding phase”?

[ST] Yes, I agree it is relevant for both, and I am OK to add it to the “ TF sounding phase”

In 1322, the sentence “A sensing session may be comprised of multiple burst instances” is suggested to be replaced with “A WLAN sensing measurement instance may be comprised of multiple phases”.  Is this the intent of the original SFD text?

[ST] Neither burst nor burst instance is defined. I hope that I fairly interpret the intention of the author. I expect to get more inputs while presenting.