Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBI] 21/641r6 Technical issue 6)

  Hi Jarkko,

  I think the issue was that these APs' mobility is tied to the STA which is also mobile. So how about:

   Issues:

  • APs are commonly implemented on mobile devices which move with a mobile STA
  • Frames transmitted by such a mobile AP can contain data which can be used to construct PII on the associated STA
    • A static SSID can be explicit PII
    • Unprotected elements in frames can be used for fingerprinting
    • BSSID and BSS color can be long-term static identifiers

That highlights what's so unique about this device, that since it is bound to a mobile STA any information that it transmits has to have the same sort of privacy protections as the STA.

  I still maintain that the privacy protections the STA is going through are probably for naught because the connection to a DS the AP is providing will provide very granular tracking of the user. Service providers do gather PII on customers and do track customers so the user won't really have true anonymity. But other devices will not be able to construct any similar PII (which might be fine, I mean the handset that used to only randomize pre-association did so not to provide privacy to the user but to prevent 3rd party entities from constructing location PII which undercut the vendor's proprietary—pronounced $$$-- APIs to provide same, so this is kind of the same deal).

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius