Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] 11me/D1.0 CID 1859 (all-zero Classifier Mask fields)

>> Note though that the Classifier Mask subfield is not present in classifier type 10 (see the second half of CID 1856).

> Right, which probably means Figure 9-364 (the generic structure of Frame Classifier field) should be changed to indicate Classifier Mask subfield is “0, 1 or 3” or something.

See the second half of the proposed changes for CID 1856!

> In practice the format for type 10 is similar to type 3; the latter containing a Classifier Mask field but it not actually being used (reserved).

> Note for both type 3 and type 10, in principle the Filter Mask field could be set to all zeros, in which case there is a null comparison and you end up with a somewhat similar situation to the case where no classifier parameters are specified in the first place.

> On the other hand, type 8 has both a Classifier Mask and Filter Mask subfields; the latter can be absent and when they are absent, it indicates all bits are to be matched (not “none of them”).

> If the Classifier Mask is non-zero but the Filter Mask subfields are present but with zero values, that is probably also a null classifier (despite the Classifier Mask being not all zeros).

I've read the material on classifiers >= 6 several times and now

my head hurts.

> It’s all quite messy and I’m not sure there is a single logic that covers everything, if the intention is to identify all cases that might be a null classifier and specify what that means (match no MxDUs or match all).

I think the group direction was to say that null classifiers (assuming

by this you mean a classifier that doesn't have anything to classify

on) shall not be used by the transmitter (and hence there is no need

to describe the receiver behaviour).  That's what

"A classifier classifies on the basis of at least one match." is trying to say (no "shall"s

in Clause 9), but I'm happy to hear of better wording!

In turn, the NOTE is trying to give examples of what is necessary for

a valid classifier.  We could try to give per-classifier group examples

(by group I mean {0, 1, 2, 4, 5}, {6, 7, 8, 9}, {3, 10}).

>> Can you help with 2026 in terms of identifying when the User Priority

>> field is an input (i.e. part of what is used to classify)

>> and when it is an output?

> I think the viewpoint expressed in the earlier thread is that the “User Priority is an input” concept should be TFS-specific, although I’m not aware that is actually stated in the standard anywhere.

> There are also cases where the User Priority is neither an input nor an output - e.g. when TCLAS is a classifier in an SCS Descriptor, the Intra-Access Category Priority element specifies the “output” UP that the matching MxDUs are assigned, and the UP value in the TCLAS element is ignored. (Whereas I think in ADDTS case, the UP in TCLAS is the “output”).

OK, can you identify all the cases where the UP is neither an

input nor an output, or even better identify a rule that can be

given for this (because otherwise we risk spec rot when a new

classifier is added)?  Then we'd have that the UP is a classifier

input, except:

- when 255 it's not used

- under TFS it's an output

- in ADDTS it's an output

- in SCS it's not used

- … otherwise it's an input

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark RISON, Standards Architect, WLAN   English/Esperanto/Français

Samsung Cambridge Solution Centre       Tel: +44 1223  434600

Innovation Park, Cambridge CB4 0DS      Fax: +44 1223  434601

ROYAUME UNI                             WWW: http://www.samsung.com/uk