[STDS-802-11] Response of 802 EC to Motion in 802.11 on IMT-2020

Dear 802.11 participants,

During our January session,  the WG approved this motion:

        Based on interest expressed during the IEEE 802.11 WNG meeting on 19 January 2016  in the IMT-2020 activity, IEEE 802.11 WG recommends to IEEE 802 EC that a liaison be sent to ITU-R WP5D indicating that IEEE 802.11 is considering participation in the IMT-2020 process.

        Moved: Andrew Myles

        Seconded: Joseph Levy

        Result: 34-5-14 Motion passes

Joseph Levy supplied template text that could be used for the liaison:  “Members of [IEEE 802.11] have brought to the attention of [IEEE 802.11] that ITU-R has defined a workplan, timeline, process and deliverables for the future development of IMT, IMT-2020.  [802.11] is considering participation in the IMT development process and therefore requests  to receive or be notified of the availability of the Circular Letter IMT-2020, and any other related information that would aid [802.11] in making a decision regarding whether [IEEE 802.11] should or should not participate and contribute to the IMT-2020 workplan, process, and deliverables.  …”

There was an EC telecon yesterday at which this was discussed.  I asked for a straw poll,  “The EC approves in principal to send a liaison to ITU-R WP5D “indicating that IEEE 802.11 is considering participation in the IMT-2020 process”.   The result was 1,8,7.   In the interest of full disclosure,  I voted against.

The arguments against (as far as I can recall,  and I am attempting to summarise a 10-minute discussion):

  1. It's plain wrong for 802.11 to attempt to liaise with ITU-R,  as IEEE is a sector member.   Any communication to ITU-R should be as a sector member through IEEE. The information being asked for is already within IEEE.  Mike Lynch is IEEE's ITU-R representative,  acting on behalf of the IEEE BoG.  So ask him for the information.

2.       The EC will set up a standing committee (as described in more detail in an earlier email of mine) to report on the costs and benefits of different models of engagement in 5G/IMT-2020.  We should wait until they have reported,  because there is no urgency in the IMT-2020 process.

3.       The 802.11 motion was flawed because it didn’t send a specific document to the EC,  but invited the EC to create it.  It was also flawed that “WG recommends” is unclear as to the intent.

If 802.11 folks,  having seen the above,  want to proceed with this liaison, then:

1.       The liaison needs to be created ahead of time and approved by the WG.

2.       The motion in the WG needs to request not recommend – i.e. be translatable directly into an EC motion.

3.       It needs to follow the form of a communication from a sector member and should be agreed in advance with the IEEE’s ITU-R representative.

Please also note that the IEEE-SA is creating a strategic initiative on the topic of 5G,   with the intent of coordinating responses to 5G.  They would probably also want to take an interest in this topic.   WG officers are doing discovery at the moment to determine what that means for us.

Best Regards,

Adrian P STEPHENS

Tel: +44 (1793) 404825 (office)
Tel: +1 (971) 330 6025 (mobile)