Re: [STDS-802-11] [STDS-802-18] New time for IEEE-SA Statement on Spectrum Update (ISUS) Ad-hoc: Fridays 12-13 ET starting 9 Dec 2022

To clarify: previous meeting time was Monday 11-12 ET (17-18 CET), and new meeting time (following confirmation motion in the .18 weekly teleconference on Thursday 1 Dec 2022 15h00 ET) should be Fridays 12-13 ET (18-19 CET). Sorry for the confusion!

best regards,

On 2022-11-29 09:17, Amelia Andersdotter wrote:
Dear all,

Following the meeting today at 17h00, we decided to propose a shift of the time for the weekly ISUS Ad-Hoc meeting (to formulate a proposal for a IEEE-SA Statement on Spectrum) from Mondays 17-18 ET to Fridays 12-13 ET. Thank you to those who expressed your meeting time preferences in the framadate poll! See https://mentor.ieee.org/802.18/dcn/22/18-22-0147-01-ISUS-28-november-2022-isus-ad-hoc-agenda.pptx

Before the hiatus, our adhoc group started working on a scope statement for a new position statement on spectrum. It includes target audience, proposed content, and how to manage some relations to non-IEEE 802 groups. If you are interested in this work and would like to participate, I copy the scope statement here. If you are, for whatever reason, not able to participate regularly in our calls you can also send views or comments to me in private or join the .18 reflector and discuss there:

Scope statement (see also slide 12 in deck linked above):

"We're expecting IEEE-SA/IEEE Public Policy team to be doing high-level engagement (e.g. with non-technical experts in various governance institutions, governments, ministers, political appointees, etc.). Our document should support these activities with respect to representing the work of IEEE 802 technologies that use unlicensed spectrum.

We expect that subject matter experts from IEEE 802.18 RR-TAG (or similar) will, also in future, be the ones engaging with technical sub-groups at e.g. regulators on specific substance matter issues that require more in-depth knowledge about specific technical developments, requirements or market needs.

This would suggest the document that we produce in ISUS should be a "high level overview" of the IEEE 802 family of standards:

    - We will need references to some particularly strong brand-names, like Wi-Fi (footnote? Paragraph? Make the connection)     - Other 802 technologies may not be as strongly connected with particular consumer brands. They are more often embedded in consumer products but not identified with a particular consumer brand     - Link applications with technologies from 802 --> they use spectrum, share spectrum, co-existence, highlight 802.19 etc     - Unlicensed spectrum technologies is something that we contribute to and use and we provide technologies in this space, everyone is using them"

Best regards,

--
Amelia Andersdotter