Re: [STDS-802-11] TGbh conference calls announcement

Just noticed Option 5 is slightly different to option 3 in that the ID is supplied by the network.  In option 3 the ID was supplied by the STA.  The reasoning behind that was that we already had a network generated ID.

Anyhow, if we want to make the list completely complete, then we should also add MAAD.

  1. MAAD scheme
    • AP picks MAC to be used next time, as per present rules (local bit).
    • AP tells STA the MAC address it should use for the next association
    • STA maintains list of ESS/SSIDs and latest MAC Addresses.
    • AP maintains list of STA addresses
    • Needs an “opt-in” mechanism (Capability bit or MIB variable?))
    • Simple, easy to implement.
    • Similar level of privacy as RCM (random MAC address for listener)
      • Network can track STA
    • Provides good protection against copying
    • Meets every Use Case
    • No computations
  • DIS
    • STA is constrained to MAC provided by AP last time.

Maybe a way ahead is to simply see if there is any way forward at all wrt pre-schemes.

A Poll to have pre-schemes at all

Then

A poll along the lines of “pre-schemes with or without computations”

Graham