From: Thomas Derham <00000ad2eabc2931-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2023 12:58 PM
To: STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11] CCK should it be Deprecated?

Thanks Graham.

I think a technical justification might be that some STA implementations achieve their very low power consumption and/or complexity requirements by only supporting DSSS/CCK.

Whether or not those device types actually need data bandwidths higher than 2 Mbps may be less relevant, given DSSS can only achieve that tput if the medium is otherwise completely idle, and (per my earlier note) the AP might want to send frames to that STA at rates higher than 2 Mbps even if the STA doesn’t need to transmit at those rates itself.

Thanks

Thomas