Re: [RPRWG] Austin Meeting Details / Process

Mike, I would like to see an addition to the agenda.  Your objective "-
possible convergence of proposals if none have sufficient support to move
forward" is far weaker than I would have stated it.  One reason it is weak
is that we don't have adequate time per the posted agenda, or within the
normal meeting schedule to move the proposals closer together.  I propose
that we allot time every evening (Sunday through Thursday Evening), and
Monday morning for the four groups, MAC - MAC Group, TOPO - Topology
Discovery Group, PHYS - Physical Layer Group, and LMGT - Layer Management
Group, to meet.  The objective of these meetings would be to develop a
single proposal in each area to bring forward.  An early part of that
process will be to move all proposals within the Ad Hoc group closer to each
other.  The tenor of the meetings should be collaborative, with all parties
looking for a solution that can go forward and garner a 75% majority of the
votes.  I further suggest that each group attempt to appoint someone to act
as a neutral leader to encourage a supportive collaborative effort within
each of the Ad Hoc groups.  We will have some time on Wednesday to see how
well the process is working, and to get reports from the Ad Hocs on there
self appraisal of progress and likelihood of reaching their objective (a
single proposal to be brought to the group), and the time frame for meeting
the objective (the November meeting, before the January interim, or by the
end of the January interim).  We have an excellent chance to make dramatic
strides in converging our thinking in each of these major areas.  One of the
key initiatives at the upcoming meeting should be devoting extensive energy
to making that happen.

All, if you are signed up for any of these groups, please make travel plans
accordingly.

Mannix, as coordinator and collector of the information, please discuss
timing with a number of people in each group and post suggested times for
the Ad Hoc groups to meet.

All, during the first meeting or before, think about who would be a good
impartial leader for each Ad Hoc group to keep discussions positive and
supportive.

Even if one of the proposals on the table garners a 75% majority on Monday,
there is a great deal of work in each of these four areas.  Under that
scenario, the Ad Hocs would work on increasing the technical detail and
refining the proposal in each area.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187