RE: [RPRWG] RE: Fwd: RE: 802.1 architecture question

Peter,

Thanks for converting this from a "they told us" political
to a more more quantifiable technical argument.

I'm really don't understand what is the difference between
a client initiated control function and a client-initiated
"normal" data transfer.

If you could help clarify the difference, that would be
most appreciated. My current concerns are that:
  1) If they are the same, why are we arguing?
  2) If they are different, what are the "gotchas".

Suppose, for example, that the answer was (2), and the control
passed through different queues, then there could be significant
concers related to maintaining expected ordering or performance.

Of course, the higher level question I still haven't
understood is: why the resistance to delivering to the client
its own self-addressed unicast frames? If client sent them to itself,
it clearly wanted them back. It it didn't want to send them,
they could have been easily prefiltered at the client.

DVJ

David V. James, PhD
Chief Architect
Network Processing Solutions