From: ext Mike Takefman [mailto:tak@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 4:00 PM
To: Wang Ti-Shiang (NRC/Boston)
Cc: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RPRWG] PHY independence

Ti-Shiang,

in theory RPR will run over many PHY layers as it is media independant. That being said
for every PHY layer a reconcilliation will be required. Our first PHYs will be
SONET/SDH and 1GE and 10GE.

I am aware of fiber, microware and copper medias are possible for some of the
Layer 1 technologies shown above.

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Manager of Engineering,       Cisco Systems