Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] SMF Ad Hoc

Chris,

I suggest that we specify our single-mode links in a similar way that they have been defined in IEEE 802.3-2012.

For 10GBASE-LR, the channel insertion loss is defined as:

Notes below Table 52-14:

c. The channel insertion loss is calculated using the maximum distance specified in Table 52–11 and cabled optical fiber

attenuation of 0.4 dB/km at 1310 nm plus an allocation for connection and splice loss given in 52.14.2.1.

52.14.2.1 states:

The maximum link distances for single-mode fiber are calculated based on an allocation of 2 dB total

connection and splice loss at 1310 nm for 10GBASE-L, and 2 dB for 30 km total connection and splice loss

at 1550 nm for 10GBASE-E.

Even for 100GBASE-LR4 and 40GBASE-LR4, the connection insertion loss is:

88.11.2.1 Connection insertion loss

The maximum link distance is based on an allocation of 2 dB total connection and splice loss.

So the usual standard for single-mode Ethernet links is 2dB of connection insertion loss and we should continue to specify single-mode links with this connection loss unless there is a good reason to change.

The exception to this way of defining connection insertion loss is 40GBASE-FR.  Since 40GBASE-FR was designed to use the same module for VSR2000-3R2 applications as well, the connection loss was increased to 3.0dB and the channel insertion loss was defined as 4dB.  This was a reasonable variation from the normal specification methodology to interoperate with other telecom equipment.  Since the 100GBASE-nR4 solution does not have this requirement for compatibility with VSR, the 802.3bm task force does not need to carry this costly requirement of a 3.0 dB connection loss and 4.0dB loss budget into 100GBASE-nR4.

The standard even calls out how 40GBASE-FR is defined differently from other Ethernet standards:

89.6.4 Comparison of power budget methodology

This clause uses the budgeting methodology that is used for application VSR2000-3R2 in ITU-T G.693

[Bx1], which is different from the methodology used in other clauses of this standard (e.g., Clause 38,

Clause 52, Clause 86, Clause 87, Clause 88).

For 802.3bm, we should define the channel insertion loss as distance * loss/distance + connection loss.

For a 500m solution, the channel insertion loss would likely be: 0.5km * 0.4dB/km + 2.0dB of connection loss = 2.2dB.

For a 2km solution, the channel insertion loss would likely be: 2 km * 0.4dB/km + 2.0dB of connection loss = 2.8dB.

Kind regards,

Scott