Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] 802.3_100GNGOPTX : 'Cost power and size differences of proposed MMF PMDs' - seeking supporters/detractors

Hi John,

I always wondered what that indent on your forehead was. I figured it was either an old scar from 802.3z, or perhaps a frying pan? :p

The observation regarding target implementations is valid, however, we should note that since this project began, the focus has been on reducing the power, cost and size of optical modules. See our CFI presentation for more specifics on that.

Its clear that some folks may consider optics directly on board to achieve even higher densities than we are enabling with 4x25G modules, but since that has not been the focus of our work and without additional presentation on that area of concern, we are bound to move forward along the current path.

It would be helpful to receive material on this subject if there is an interest in presenting and we still have a window of opportunity (Friday's the deadline) if someone wishes to submit a request. Key in my mind would be some data on the trajectory for adoption of optics-on-board as opposed to modular optics in the data center environment.

Best Regards,

Dan Dove
Chair, IEEE P802.3bm