Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] MMF ad hoc - 30th jan 2014, unapproved minutes

Title: RE: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] MMF ad hoc - 30th jan 2014, unapproved minutes

On yesterday’s call I volunteered to send out some corners for evaluation of correlations between TDP and VECP for both real parts and simulations.   I think it is important to cover assymetric waveforms,  waveforms that have a lot of noise, and waveforms that have more Dual Dirac like responses.   I’d suggest the following would do this.

Modules set up for high extinction ratio are likely to create the assymetric waveforms.

Modules set to very low extinction ratio will create a lot of RIN(OMA). Biasing the laser high (no reliability issues for this test) will also potentially speed up the risetimes making the RIN even more of a dominant effect.

Using a pattern generator with SJ added is likely to get the Dual Dirac like response.

I also volunteered to make some suggestions as to how one might include the laser chromatic effects in a TDP test, which would make it more representative of system performance.   The suggestion (made by someone else) was to include a fiber in the test.   Ie make the test procedure the same as for single mode systems, (except that the receiver bandwidth would be somewhat narrower to account for modal dispersion).    The test fiber would be approximately 100m of super OM4.   (I think 8000MHz.km modal bandwidth over the 840 to 860 wavelength might be available.  Fiber experts please comment).  The Chromatic dispersion would be equal to that of a worst case OM4 fiber.

Mike Dudek

QLogic Corporation

Director Signal Integrity

26650 Aliso Viejo Parkway