Re: Pointer processing issue

David and all,
I agree that we need to retain the stuff columns as a requirement, but
that is not
to say that NOT using them cannot be an option. What you describe is a
valid
application, and perhaps it is specifically a market you are targeting.
No problem.

But there is no need to burden applications that do not require SDH
virtual concatenation
with the fixed stuff columns. The equipment vendor who devleops products
with the *option*
to disable fixed stuff will have no problem provisioning an SDH service
with the feature as long
as it is REQUIRED. And in many applications, it should be the case that
the same provisioning tools
could simply turn off the feature.

Is your position that for the life of this standard, all
STS-192c/STM-64-VC-4-64c services will be done by
virtual concatenation?   If that were to be the case, then I would agree
that the fixed stuff option cannot be optional.
However, I don't think that will be the reality, and I doubt if you do.
OC-768/STM-256 products are in the pipeline already.
We can't assume that they will fail to reach the market. Once a service
provider can provision an STS-192c
path circuit without using virtual concatenation, then all we would need
is a second C2 Signal Label that says
"10GbE without fixed stuff".  Then it is a provisioning option, and good
capitalists will get to decide what to
do with the bandwidth they are selling and buying. In my opinion, it is
simply good business to offer flexibility
where it costs nothing real to do so. There is no cost to adding this
level of flexibility.

Best regards,
Gary

--