[802.3_B10K] Info: Request for Interpretation

All,

As you know, we are preparing for a call to consider comments submitted via the public review process against the initial IEEE SA Draft 3.0.  Part of the preparation was to review what was said in the rules.  I found them to be somewhat ambiguous, and therefore have reached out to the IEEE-SA for an interpretation, which I will include below.  My motivation was to better understand the Public Review Process.

At this time I have received a request from David L. Ringle, Director, IEEE-SA Governance, asking if I can attend the 05 Nov 2019 Procom Meeting as they are leaning towards adding an item to the meeting agenda, and asking if I can be available to speak to this item.  I am planning on supporting his request.

I am informing the Task Force of this request for interpretation in the interest of transparency, as I felt there was a certain amount of ambiguity in the IEEE-SA Rules / documentation.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3cn Task Force

Interpretation Request

Dear IEEE-SA Secretary,

I am requesting an interpretation regarding Public Review subclauses 5.4.5 and 5.4.6 noted in the IEEE SA Standards Board Operations Manual (included below).

The question focuses on who is eligible to submit comments during the public review.  Noted in these sections, it appears that individuals who purchase the initial ballot draft are eligible to submit comments.  My request for interpretation is a person who did not purchase the initial draft ballot eligible to submit a comment through the public review process?

The requirement to purchase the draft to submit the comment also seems reinforced by the following IEEE pages –

IEEE SA Standards Board Operations Manual

5.4.5 Comments received as a result of an IEEE Public Review
Upon the opening of the initial Standards Association ballot, an IEEE Public Review shall start and last for 60 days. Any person may purchase the initial ballot draft for information only, and have the ability to submit public comments on said draft without vote. All public review comments and responses shall be submitted electronically through the IEEE Standards Association public review tools.

All public review comments received during an IEEE Public Review shall be considered by the Standards Committee's comment resolution group and a response shall be provided to the commenter. If the response indicates that a change is to be made to the draft, the commenter is entitled to receive a copy of the revised draft from the Standards Committee upon request.

5.4.6 Comments received from persons who are neither in the Standards Association balloting group nor an IEEE Public Review commenter
Any person may purchase a Standards Association ballot draft for information only. Such persons may submit comments on the draft. Comments received before the close of a ballot shall be considered by the Standards Committee (see 5.4.3.3) and a response shall be provided to the commenter. If the response indicates that a change is to be made to the draft, the commenter is entitled to receive a copy of the revised draft from the Standards Committee upon request.

Thank you

John D’Ambrosia

Employer / Affiliation: Futurewei, U.S. Subsidiary of Huawei

Chair, IEEE P802.3cn Task Force