[802.3_GEPOF] September GEPOF Study Group meeting -- Kanata

Colleagues:

Meeting Information:

The IEEE 802.3 Gigabit Ethernet Over Plastic Optical Fiber Study Group will be meeting September 8th and 9th in Kanata (near Ottawa), Ontario, Canada.  The full schedule of study group and task force meetings for the week is available on the 802.3 web site (http://www.ieee802.org/3).  We will begin our meeting on Monday at 0830.  We will similarly begin at 0830 on Tuesday (though that time can be adjusted based on the amount of work we have to accomplish before adjournment).  The hope would be to finish before 1700 on Tuesday.

Registration and meeting details may be found at:  http://ieee802.org/3/interims.

Study Group Status:

Our objectives were accepted by IEEE 802.3 in July.  We also received approval for part of our CSD document, but when the vote on Broad Market Potential narrowly failed, consideration of additional votes on the project were skipped, including an 802.3 vote on our proposed Project Authorization Request (PAR).  We received a number of comments from 802.3 discussion, and we should focus on those concerns.  Additionally, any additional contributions to the 5 Criteria responses is certainly appropriate.  To that end, discussion of possible solutions most likely falls under reinforcement of Technical Feasibility for a project.

Areas of concern that were exposed include concern about use of POF as a little understood medium to some in 802.3.  Therefore, additional work on a channel model is appropriate, as would be work on a power budget.  It might be appropriate also to revisit the testing data presented in July, especially if additional testing has been accomplished.  In this area an expressed concern was that the presentations did not adequately describe what was included in the test.  Though that came out during our SG discussions, it would be helpful to provide such information in presentations either updated or created for September.

We will also need to consider if we should update any of our project documents and when we want to submit for 802.3 and EC consideration again.

Call for Presentations:

Requests for presentation time must be made at least a week before the meeting (anything time-stamped after midnight AOE on Monday, September 1, 2014 will only be heard with permission of the Study Group).  Please submit presentation requests to the Study Group Chair at bob.grow@xxxxxxxx, including a PDF digital copy of the presentation, name of presenter, names of any co-authors, employer and affiliation of presenter and co-authors, and requested time for the presentation.

Some Study Group participants may be new to IEEE 802.  All registered attendees at the meeting are welcome to participate, but we have some rules that have to be followed in presentations and discussions.

1.      Please make sure that there are no restrictive notices (e.g., copyright or confidentiality) in the presentations or in the request email.  (Also required for posting to the Study Group reflector.)

2.      Do not include product promotion in presentations.

3.      Do not discuss prices, division of markets or any other topics that are anti-competitive.  There is a presentation describing how we can discuss cost (not price) by IEEE counsel at http://www.ieee802.org/3/100GNGOPTX/public/may12/lindsay_01_0512_optx.pdf.

4.      Please feel free to contact me with any questions in advance of submission of your presentation.

I look forward to seeing you in September.

Regards,

Bob

Robert M. Grow

bob.grow@xxxxxxxx