From: Marek Hajduczenia <marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 5:19 PM
To: Dai, Eugene (CCI-Atlanta); STDS-802-3-GEPOF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_GEPOF] FTTH Council market study

Eugene, et al.,

Note that a good share of newly built houses come already equipped with at
least Cat5e cabling (in some cases, even Cat6). Perhaps it varies state by
state, but I believe house developers started already noticing the advantage
of having a house pre-wired and the extra value it brings to the house on
the competitive market.

You seem to consider GPOF as a replacement for twisted pair and I do not
believe there is a strong advantage there. First, with twisted pair we can
do (and we use it today) PoE for WiFi APs distributed around the house. WiFi
AP does not draw too much power and it is an ideal application for PoE
today. Second, GPOF will require active wall sockets, where fiber is
terminated and converted into regular RJ45 for twisted pair. Much as we
might dislike it, customer equipment comes with twisted pair ports, and not
fiber ports. Using backpower solution is rarely viable today and requires a
brand new class of devices that can source PoE towards the wall socket.
Hardly a backward compatible solution. Furthermore, active wall sockets
require power feed lines, which put additional requirement for circuits
inside of the house. I had a chance to talk to a few local developers and
this was the major sticking point. When power had to be run to the wall
sockets for active POF/twisted pair converters, the whole advantage of
having fiber-based distribution network inside of the house goes away.

I am not saying we should not consider home application got POF, but I
believe building the case based on home application is a hard sell, at least
as far as US is concerned. Europe might be a different story altogether, but
then it is fair to spell it out explicitly in the project documentation. The
best that a project can do at this stage is being fair in its assessment of
the potential market space and its evaluation of other technologies it is
competing against.

Regards

Marek