Re: [802.3_YANG] RMON equivalent stats in 802.3 Ethernet Interface YANG model

[Adding in the 802.3 WG YANG alias)

Hi Ahmed,

Ah yes, OK.

So, there are 3 problems with this set of counters:
(i) To be properly useful they should include categories above 1518 octets, but 802.3 doesn't formally acknowledge the existence of Ethernet frames bigger than 1518 octets.
(ii) These counters are normally implemented in hardware, and once you get above 1518 octets different hardware implementations do different things, so retrospectively applying standard values seems unfriendly ;-)
(iii) 802.3 only wants to standardize Ethernet YANG that can be mapped to the internal 802.3 management API, i.e. stuff that all implementations can reasonably be expected to support.

When this was last discussed in an 802.3 meeting the recommendation is that they get standardized in IETF instead (somewhat sidestepping the jumbo frame concern) in a more generic way.  I think that I have the action of following up on this, but I may have dropped the ball.

I.e. the idea was to use a list of the octet ranges, with a description recommending some standard ranges to use up to 1518, but leaving it to the devices to report the specific ranges supported by their hardware.

Thanks,
Rob