From: Michael Binder [mailto:m.binder@ieee.org]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 8:32 AM
To: Jim Carlo
Subject: Re: Another rules change proposal

Jim:

As of this moment SA membership is still a requirement for balloting (IEEE
membership or Computer Society membership is not a requirement for
balloting, but does have an effect on the fee imposed to join the SA).

I believe, however, there is a Standards Board ballot being conducted (or
will be conducted shortly) to change this.  My understanding is that this
proposal would allow non-SA members to participate as voting members of the
balloting group for a (yet undetermined) fee.  This is a result of an ANSI
stipulation that says you can not impose "membership" as a requirement for
balloting - however, you can charge reasonable administrative fees.

Mary Lynne Nielson can probably provide you with more detailed update on
this situation.
Michael J. Binder
Manager - Balloting Center
IEEE Standards Dept.