Re: [Qos-fc] Re: QoS in the IEEE 802

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: "Khaled Amer" <khaledamer@usa.net>
To: "Ken MacLeod" <Kenmacleod@earthlink.net>
Cc: "Gilad Goren" <gilad@nativenetworks.com>, <qos-fc@cs.ucr.edu>,
        <802exec@hepnrc.hep.net>
Subject: Re: [Qos-fc] Re: QoS in the IEEE 802
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 23:03:37 -0700

Ken,

As mentioned in my previous note on the reflector, there are several
activities going on in the IEEE 802 related to QoS. Unfortunately, they are
disjoint and separate efforts.

In the wireless working groups, there is a big interest in QoS.
One of the reasons is that you can't just "throw bandwidth at the problem".

Right now, to the best of my knowledge, there are these activities going on
in the IEEE 802 standards related to QoS:

- 802.11
They are looking at enhancements to the MAC, including adding in QoS
mechanisms.
Several proposals were submitted and presentations given in a QoS session
that was held Tuesday evening in Albuquerque (March 2000).

- 802.15
Beginning to look into follow-on high rate standards, and other features to
be added which include QoS mechanisms.

- 802.16
They are including QoS mechanisms in their efforts and have modeling work
going on to evaluate the merits of various mechanisms.

Now, on the 10G Ethernet side, there seems to be growing interest in
implementing QoS especially as the technology moves into the MAN and WAN.
However, nothing concrete is going on there (yet?).

The point that is being raise by several people is that it probably would be
a good idea to have all of these QoS efforts coordinated and at least come
up with consistent paramters and interfaces. It would be great to also have
the mechanisms unified, but there may be some options or requirements that
each group need to meet their specific needs. Might be a good idea to have a
common set, together with some options that can be defined by each group.

However, right now, there is no special coordination between these efforts.
Would have been a good role for the QoS Study group (and maybe it still is
something to be looked into if others see so too).

Hope this helps.
Please let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions.
Any opinions from others on copy are most welcome.

Khaled Amer
President, AmerNet                                13711 Solitaire Way
Phone: (949)552-1114                             Irvine, CA 92620
e-mail: khaledamer@usa.net