RE: Projectors NOT COOKIES

Roger-

I obviously don't agree.,

At 10:35 PM 10/18/00 -0600, Roger B. Marks wrote:

I have to oppose this (and this is not a directed position!).

Clearly, projectors are our top priority. On the other hand, $2 per person per day is NOT too much money to pay for a small comfort. Look, my people (and yours too) work like mad for four days, and all they ask for is a darn cookie in the afternoon. Standards developers do not live by coffee alone.

It isn't $2 per person per day. It is more like $3 per cookie! (Actually, it is $3.07 including tax and service in Tampa, I just checked) Early birds grab a handful. Late folks don't get any. There are hard feelings. We get into the situation where we are spending effort to manage cookie access into our agenda. The folks who are across the street or are on another floor won't get cookies or will be handicapped with respect to cookie notification and access. I want to keep the focus on our work.

I really don't think we need to choose between projectors and cookies. Our group votes unanimously for cookies. If I did another straw poll on whether they would still support cookies even if it took an $8 fee increase to pay for them, I think that we'd get the same poll results. Sure, people could buy their own cookies, but they'd have to go off on their own and lose the social experience.

Remember, the great thing about IEEE standards is that the individual makes it work.

The great thing about 802 Standards is that they changed the world without benefit of cookies. I could be wrong, but I believe that every single published IEEE 802 Standard was done without the distraction of Plenary Cookies.

If the individual soul needs a little nourishment to get the work done, then I say let's not begrudge it.

Roger

Geoff

Since Geoff has raised the issue of cookies, I had better follow through on
one of my action items from July.  The cost for cookies over the meeting
week has been (with approximate tax and service):
Site        $/paid_attend   $Total       Notes
LaJolla        $10.10        $8580       $30/dozen
Albuquerque    $ 6.75        $4035       $20/dozen
--Bob Grow