From: Jim Mollenauer [mailto:jmollenauer@technicalstrategy.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 2:59 AM
To: erHoward Frazier
Cc: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Standards Availability

I agree with Howard; the proposed system is too complex.

However, setting up a system to charge people for downloads will be costly
and
will result in  revenues being absorbed by the setup and operational costs.
It
would be better to keep the .pdf version free at all times, so that we can
achieve our goal of maximum availability of the standards.

Paper and CD-ROM versions do have production costs, and it is reasonable to
charge for them always, as Howard suggests.  This might well be done through
outside shops; certainly our experience with Alpha Graphics was very
positive.
The key here is to franchise more than one source, so that competition will
keep the prices and service within reasonable bounds, and distant locations
(such as Europe and Asia) can be served locally.

Jim Mollenauer