Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

RE: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO IT NOW !!!)

I have a concern with option #2.  If I understand it correctly, we are using
a host for ~half of 802, and the 802 treasury for the other ~half of 802.
This is a bad precedent, and would be yet one more thing supported by the
802 treasury that is not for the benefit of all of 802.  I can only support
option #1 or option #3.

--Bob Grow

-----Original Message-----
From: Rigsbee, Everett O []
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 6:37 AM
To: 802 Exec
Cc: 802 @F2F Dawn S; 802 @F2F Darcel Moro; Caroline R. Armstrong;
Kesling, Dawson W
Subject: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO IT
NOW !!!)

Dear SEC:   OK here's the pitch for the May Interim.  Please response ASAP

After some rather intensive searching of the Orlando area for a suitable
venue (and checking other Eastern locations as well) we've finally come up
with something that looks workable, but we need to make an immediate
decision as to how we want to go.  

We have found 2nd option availability at the Hyatt Orlando in Kissimmee, FL
(a resort property  ~1.5 miles from Walt Disney World).  During our week of
May 14-19, 2001, they can offer us up to 625 of their 922 rooms per night
and there's a large Radisson right nearby which could provide any necessary
overflow rooms and/or meeting space.  The Hyatt Orlando has a good selection
of meeting space, all centrally located, and almost all of it is currently
available (only a couple of the smaller rooms are currently booked).  We
believe there is enough space to do all the meetings for an Interim meeting
for all of our Working Groups.  The group rate they are offering is
$119/129 S/D.  Their pricings for Food & Beverage, Audio Visual, and
Miscellaneous services look to be very competitive for the area.  You can
check out all the details of the property at their website at: 

OK, so what's this 2nd option business all about ???  This means there is
another group who has asked Hyatt Orlando to hold space for their function
during that same week, but they have not committed to sign a contract yet.
How it works is as follows:  if we sign a 2nd option contract for the dates
we want, the other group is given 72 hours to either sign their contract or
release the space (and we're in).  The probabilities are good that if we act
now we WILL get the space.  The problem is that we have a nice gentleman
from Intel, (Dawson Kesling) who has offered to host an 802.3 Interim
meeting at the Hyatt Sacramento, who is holding space there and he is being
pressured to sign a contract or risk losing the space.  If he loses the
space and the other group signs the contract at Hyatt Orlando, then we're
back to square zero.  

So I see 3 possible options for us to choose from: 

Option #1:  We say, "Go for it!"  We sign the contract for the full meeting
and we'll know in 72 hours whether we have a site or not.  We tell Dawson,
"Thank you very much for your offer and we'll hope to have you host a
meeting in the future."  If we strikeout at Hyatt Orlando, we go back and
look at several other back-up properties to get the deal we need (we
currently have several, but only 1 is in the Orlando area).  

Option #2:  We divide the meeting.  We let 802.3 go ahead and do their own
thing at the Hyatt Sacramento and we do everybody else at Hyatt Orlando (if
we can get in).  We can reduce the room block to 500, we will certainly have
plenty of meeting space, and we won't need to worry about overflow space.
OK so it's not a fully co-located 802-Hosted Interim meeting, but we said
this was an experiment to see how it works.  It probably best to start off
with a more manageable-sized group anyway.  

Option #3:  We blow-off the 802-Hosted May Interim meeting completely, every
WG does their own thing with their own hosts, and we think about maybe
trying this again sometime in the future.  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Option #2 for your
consideration, since it seems to get us a trial run and we take on the least
risk, but the choice really belongs to the WG chairs who have to survive
these meetings.  I also think we should weight the voting on this by the
size of the constituency (as recorded at Tampa) since I'm a believer in
1-man, 1-vote, and we're trying to do what's right for the greatest number
of people here (note: this implies the vote for an SEC member with no WG
would count 1).  

Whatever you decide (i.e. Option #1, 2, or 3), you must send me you response
TODAY because we risk losing all if we don't decide right away.  In the
unlikely event of a tie vote, I flip a coin to see who wins.  Please decide
now !!!  Later will be TOO LATE and you'll wind up with Option #3 by
default.  You may call or send email to Dawn or myself if you have any
burning questions but please don't bother with suggesting other Options
which we have overlooked/forgotten.  What you see is what you get.  Tempus
Fugit !!!

We await your response.   :-)   

Thanx,  Buzz
Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
Seattle, WA  98124-2207
ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
Thanx,  Buzz
Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
Seattle, WA  98124-2207
ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721