Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

RE: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO IT NOW !!!)

Jonathan and all,

Sacramento can handle all dot 3's needs, assuming 'af and EFM meet M-T with
a total of about 150 people and 'ae meets W-Th-F with a total of 300. (Let
me know if the numbers need adjustment.)

The main hotel has plenty of meeting space for additional groups, but we are
looking into the ability to handle more overnight rooms. We are waiting for
replies from the main and overflow sites. 

We need more specifics about dot 1. I'm assuming 30 people and only one
meeting room. Can Tony confirm? How many days does dot 1 want to meet? Can I
select which days of the week to balance the room load? 

Mike estimated 50-150 people for dot 17. How many days? Can I choose which


-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Thatcher []
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 9:24 AM
To: 'Howard Frazier';; Rigsbee, Everett O;
Jonathan Thatcher; Geoffrey Thompson; Dawn C. Slykhouse;;;;; 'Mike Takefman'
Subject: RE: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO
IT NOW !!!)


We have had a volunteer helper get involved in the process of identifying
potential sites for the meeting. Since he started that process prior to our
last meeting, we are simply in his debt and thank him.

So far, the only thing that is really of interest here is that we have two
candidate sites: Orlando and Sacramento.

Steve, Howard, I think Tony, and I have expressed preference for Sacramento.
Mike appears to have expressed preference for Orlando.

If Sacramento has capacity enough for the entire group, this should be an
easy decision.

If not, it gets a little more complicated. Before we go there, let's answer
the first question.



-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Frazier []
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 10:55 PM
Cc: Rigsbee, Everett O; Jonathan. Thatcher; Geoffrey Thompson; Dawn C.
Subject: Re: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO
IT NOW !!!)

Okay, so if dot3 and dot1 want to go to Sac'to, can we fit dot17 into that
venue as well?  I have lost the information about the meeting host for
Sac'to, other than I believe it was some one from Intel.  

Mike, would dot17 like to go to Sacramento in May, 2001, or would they
prefer Orlando?


Steve Carlson wrote:
> Buzz-
> I have been in touch with Howard and Jonathan. All of us vote for
> Sacramento. We have e-mail from 802.1 indicating that they will go where
> 802.3 goes.
> Consider this as 802.3's response. Option #2 it is.
> Thanks and regards,
> Steve
> Steven B. Carlson
> President
> Co-Chair, ESTA Control Protocols Working Group
> Chair, ESTA ACN Task Group
> Chair, IEEE 802.3af DTE Power via MDI Task Force
> High Speed Design, Inc.
> 11929 NW Old Quarry Road
> Portland, OR 97229
> 503.626.4206
> FAX 503.626.4206
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rigsbee, Everett O []
> Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 2:52 PM
> To:
> Subject: FW: URGENT - We Need an Instantaneous Response. (That means DO
> IT NOW !!!)
> Steve,   Here it is !!!
> Thanx,  Buzz
> Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> Boeing SSG
> PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> email:
> > ----------
> > From:         Rigsbee, Everett O
> > Sent:         Wednesday, November 29, 2000 6:37 AM
> > To:   '802 Exec'
> > Cc:   '802 @F2F Dawn S'; '802 @F2F Darcel Moro'; 'Caroline R.
> 'Kesling, Dawson W'
> > Subject:      URGENT -  We Need an Instantaneous Response.  (That means
> NOW !!!)
> >
> > Dear SEC:   OK here's the pitch for the May Interim.  Please response
> !!!
> >
> > After some rather intensive searching of the Orlando area for a suitable
> venue (and checking other Eastern locations as well) we've finally come up
> with something that looks workable, but we need to make an immediate
> decision as to how we want to go.
> >
> > We have found 2nd option availability at the Hyatt Orlando in Kissimmee,
> FL (a resort property  ~1.5 miles from Walt Disney World).  During our
> of May 14-19, 2001, they can offer us up to 625 of their 922 rooms per
> and there's a large Radisson right nearby which could provide any
> overflow rooms and/or meeting space.  The Hyatt Orlando has a good
> of meeting space, all centrally located, and almost all of it is currently
> available (only a couple of the smaller rooms are currently booked).  We
> believe there is enough space to do all the meetings for an Interim
> for all of our Working Groups.  The group rate they are offering is
> $119/129 S/D.  Their pricings for Food & Beverage, Audio Visual, and
> Miscellaneous services look to be very competitive for the area.  You can
> check out all the details of the property at their website at:
> >
> >
> > OK, so what's this 2nd option business all about ???  This means there
> another group who has asked Hyatt Orlando to hold space for their function
> during that same week, but they have not committed to sign a contract yet.
> How it works is as follows:  if we sign a 2nd option contract for the
> we want, the other group is given 72 hours to either sign their contract
> release the space (and we're in).  The probabilities are good that if we
> now we WILL get the space.  The problem is that we have a nice gentleman
> from Intel, (Dawson Kesling) who has offered to host an 802.3 Interim
> meeting at the Hyatt Sacramento, who is holding space there and he is
> pressured to sign a contract or risk losing the space.  If he loses the
> space and the other group signs the contract at Hyatt Orlando, then we're
> back to square zero.
> >
> > So I see 3 possible options for us to choose from:
> >
> > Option #1:  We say, "Go for it!"  We sign the contract for the full
> meeting and we'll know in 72 hours whether we have a site or not.  We tell
> Dawson, "Thank you very much for your offer and we'll hope to have you
> a meeting in the future."  If we strikeout at Hyatt Orlando, we go back
> look at several other back-up properties to get the deal we need (we
> currently have several, but only 1 is in the Orlando area).
> >
> > Option #2:  We divide the meeting.  We let 802.3 go ahead and do their
> thing at the Hyatt Sacramento and we do everybody else at Hyatt Orlando
> we can get in).  We can reduce the room block to 500, we will certainly
> plenty of meeting space, and we won't need to worry about overflow space.
> OK so it's not a fully co-located 802-Hosted Interim meeting, but we said
> this was an experiment to see how it works.  It probably best to start off
> with a more manageable-sized group anyway.
> >
> > Option #3:  We blow-off the 802-Hosted May Interim meeting completely,
> every WG does their own thing with their own hosts, and we think about
> trying this again sometime in the future.
> >
> > I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Option #2 for your
> consideration, since it seems to get us a trial run and we take on the
> risk, but the choice really belongs to the WG chairs who have to survive
> these meetings.  I also think we sho> uld weight the voting on this by the
> size of the constituency (as recorded at Tampa) since I'm a believer in
> 1-man, 1-vote, and we're trying to do what's right for the greatest number
> of people here (note: this implies the vote for an SEC member with no > WG
> would count 1).  >
> >
> > Whatever you decide (i.e. Option #1, 2, or 3), you must send me you
> response TODAY because we risk losing all if we don't decide right away.
> the unlikely event of a tie vote, I flip a coin to see who wins.  Please
> decide now !!!  Later will be TOO LATE and you'll wind up with Option #3
> default.  You may call or send email to Dawn or myself if you have any
> burning questions but please don't bother with suggesting other Options
> which we have overlooked/forgotten.  What you see is what you get.  Tempus
> Fugit !!!
> >
> > We await your response.   :-)
> >
> > Thanx,  Buzz
> > Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> > Boeing SSG
> > PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> > Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> > ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> > email:
> > Thanx,  Buzz
> > Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
> > Boeing SSG
> > PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
> > Seattle, WA  98124-2207
> > ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721
> > email:
> >