Re: +++ IEEE 802 BALLOT: Approve $4K Funding for FCC to attendIEEE 802 meeting

I vote No.

I do appreciate the advantage of providing the regulators a better
understanding of IEEE standards and our process, and I'd like them to
see that 802 is paving the way to a fast, inexpensive, and
widely-accessible wireless Internet. I also know that the FCC is on a
tight budget. They don't get to keep the income from the spectrum
auctions, just enough to cover the cost of running them.

On the other hand, I am concerned about 802, as a global
organization, subsidizing the travel of a representative of a single
government. 802.16 has had numerous governmental employees in
attendance (for example, 19 sessions attended by staff from Industry
Canada and 8 sessions attended by a participant from the UK's
Radiocommunications Agency). We haven't offered them any financial
assistance, and I don't think we should. We still welcome their
participation. For example, our Regulatory Affairs Committee and I
invited FCC participants to attend our session in the Washington DC
area last May and offered fee waivers. [None attended, however.]

Roger