Re: Cost Discussions

Mike, if we keep in mind that the purpose of not discussing pricing is to
avoid the appearance of collusion, then we could assume a vendor involved
with setting the sale price may not bring that price up to the WG.  However,
vendors that need to purchase these components can discuss how much it costs
them to buy various sets of components for the different possible
implementations, as these would be costs to the vendors speaking on the
subject.

If we want to put an additional safety fence around all our discussions,
then we could ask that even these numbers be given in terms of relative
costs.  However, I don't believe we are violating policy if we state as
vendors that to implement proposal "A" I would need to buy discreet
capacitors at  an estimated cost of $0.25 per box, and solution "B" would
require me to buy transformers which would have an estimated cost of $1.50
per box.  Please factor this difference in costs that go into the final
product in making a selection.

Others, any comments on my interpretation.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@ieee.org          Fax: 720 222-0900