From: Bob O'Hara [mailto:bob@informed-technology.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 4:11 PM
To: '802sec (E-mail)'
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Standards CD-ROM

Mike,

I tend to agree with you.  I carry only a handful of CD-ROMs with me and the
802 standards CD is one of them (though I do have the 802.11, 802.3 and
802.1 stuff on my hard drive, too).  I will have to let Bob G respond as to
the cost of the program.

My feeling on having 802 provide these CD-ROMs is that they are a nice
little perq for the members.  However, with the proliferation of CR-R and
CD-R/RW drives out there today, It might be a good time to transition to
letting the members create their own CD.

The only reason I can see to produce the CD is to make the documents that
are not yet available for download available to the members.  This means
that the CD would contain the documents that will become available for
download in the next 1-6 months, depending on SB approval cycles, limiting
the useful life of the CD.  Anything that is approved in the six months
after the CD is made will become available for download before the next CD
is pressed, unless we want to go to twice per year distribution.  (I am not
recommending that we go to 2/year.)

It is my responsibility as recording secretary to produce the CD.  Now is
the time to decide if we want to continue this practice and, if do continue,
what the content of the CD will be.

 -Bob