Re: [802SEC] "Playpen Ethertypes" PAR

Apologies - that page is password protected.  Please find the HTML attached.

Regards,
Tony

At 17:46 27/09/2001 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

>I have placed a draft proposed PAR for "Playpen Ethertypes" on the 802.1
>website at:
>
>http://www.ieee802.org/1/mirror/8021/o-drafts/playpen/802a-par.htm
>
>This proposed project was discussed in the July 802.1 meeting; 802.1 plans
>to finalize the wording in November having taken account of any comments
>from other working groups. I am therefore giving notice under the 30-day
>rule that 802.1 will ask for Exec approval at the Friday Exec meeting in
>Austin to submit the PAR to NesCom.
>
>Regards,
>Tony

Title: Project Authorization Request (PAR) Form

IEEE-SA Standards Board Project Authorization Request (PAR) Form (2001-Rev 1)

After completing and saving this form, please send the form as an e-mail attachment to the NesCom Secretary. Please click on a year to view the submittal deadlines for the year 2001 and the year 2002. Please don't forget to fax the signature page.

If the Working Group is new to the process or if you are a new Working Group Chair/Sponsor Chair/Society Liaison and you feel it would be beneficial for staff to give a brief presentation on the process of developing a standard, please check here [ ]

Instructions for Downloading the PAR Form

1. Sponsor Date
of Request
[2001 Nov 12]

2. Assigned Project
Number
[P802a]

3. PAR Approval
Date (to be completed by staff)
_____________

Copyright release must be submitted with appropriate signatures by FAX (1-732-562-1571)}

4. Project Title, Recorder and Working Group/Sponsor for this Project

Document type and title: {Place an X in only one option below}

  • [X] Standard for{document stressing the verb "shall"}
  • [..] Recommended Practice for{document stressing the verb "should"}
  • [..] Guide for {document in which good practices are suggested, stressing the verb "may"}

Title:  [Local and Metropolitan Area Networks – Overview and Architecture – Amendment 1: Ethertypes for prototype and vendor-specific protocol development]

Name of Working Group (WG): [P802.1]

Name of Official Reporter (usually the WG Chair) who must be an SA member as well as an IEEE and/or Affiliate Member:

[Tony Jeffree]

IEEE Standards Staff has verified that the Official Reporter (or Working Group Chair) is an IEEE and an IEEE-SA member:

[...] (Staff to check box)

Contact Information:

Telephone

[+44-161-973-4278]

FAX:

[+44-161-973-6534]

E-mail:

[tony@Jeffree.co.uk]

Name of Working Group Chair (if different than Reporter):

[...]

IEEE Standards Staff has verified that the Working Group Chair is an IEEE and an IEEE-SA member:

[...] (Staff to check box)

Contact Information:

Telephone

[...]

FAX:

[...]

E-mail:

[...]

Name of Sponsoring Society and Committee:

[IEEE P802 LMSC]

Name of Committee Sponsor Chair:

[Jim Carlo]

IEEE Standards Staff has verified that the Sponsor Chair is an IEEE and an IEEE-SA member:

[...] (Staff to check box)

Contact Information:

Telephone

[1-214-853-5274]

FAX:

[1-214-853-5274]

E-mail:

[j.carlo@ieee.org]

5. Type of Project

a. Is this an update to an existing PAR? [NO ]

If YES, indicate PAR Number/Approval Date [P####-YEAR]
If YES, is this project in ballot now? [yes/no]
[Indicate changes/rationale for revised PAR in Item #16. This should be no more than 5 lines.]

b. Choose one from the following:

[...] New standard
[...] Revision of existing standard {number and year} [...]
[X] Amendment to an existing standard {number and year} [802 2001]
[...] Corrigendum to an existing standard {number and year} [...]

6. Life Cycle

[X] Full Use (5-year life cycle)
[...] Trial Use (2-year life cycle)

7. Balloting Information

Choose one from the following:

[X] Individual Sponsor Balloting
[...] Entity Sponsor Balloting
[...] Mixed Balloting (combination of Individual and Entity Sponsor Balloting)

Expected Date of Submission for Initial Sponsor Ballot: [...]

8. Fill in Projected Completion Date for Submittal to RevCom [June 2003]

9. Scope of Proposed Project:

[What is being done, including technical boundaries of the work. This should be brief (less than 5 lines recommended). For a revision of a standard, the scope should reflect the revision project including the scope of the original standard, amendments and additions.]

Provision of a small number of Ethernet type values for prototype and experimental use, and the provision of a mechanism for vendor assignment of protocol identifiers for use with proprietary protocols.

10. Purpose of Proposed Project:

[Why it is being done, including intended users and benefits to users. This should be brief (less than 5 lines recommended). For the revision of a standard, the purpose should be the purpose of the original standard and include why the standard is being revised.]

The existing Ethernet Type number space is a finite resource. In order to develop protocols that will use an Ethernet Type value as a protocol identifier, it is necessary for vendors to apply for type values from this limited number space, both for development purposes and for assignment to the final protocol. This can lead to wastage of the number space for no useful purpose. This amendment to IEEE Standard 802 will allow prototype and experimental protocols to be developed without consuming type values, and will also provide a means whereby protocol developers can assign permanent protocol identifier values without consuming type values.

11. Intellectual Property {Answer each of the questions below}

Has the sponsor reviewed the IEEE patent policy with the group??

[Yes] {Yes/No}

Are you aware of the possibility of any copyrights relevant to this project?

[No] {Yes/No}

Are you aware of the possibility of any trademarks relevant to this project?

[No] {Yes/No}

Are you aware of possible registration of objects or numbers due to this project?

[No] {Yes/No}

12. Are you aware of any other standards or projects with a similar scope?

[No] {Yes, with detailed explanation below / No}
[...] {Explanation}

13. International Submissions

Will this standard (in part or in whole) be submitted to an international organization for consideration/adoption?
[No] {Yes/No/?? if you don't know at this time}

If Yes, please answer the following questions:

Which International Organization/Committee [...]
International Contact Information:
Name: [...]
Address: [...]
Phone: [...]
FAX: [...]
Email: [...]

14. Is this project intended to focus on health, safety or environmental issues?

[No] {Yes/No/?? if you don't know at this time}
If Yes: Explanation [...]

15. Mandatory Coordination

SCC 10 (IEEE Dictionary)

by DR

{Circulation of DRafts}

IEEE Staff Editorial Review by

by DR

SCC 14 (Quantities, Units and Letter symbols)

by DR

Additional communication and input from other organizations or other IEEE Standards Sponsors should be encouraged through participation in the working group or the balloting pool.

16. Additional Explanatory Notes: {Item Number and Explanation}

[...]{If necessary, these can be continued on additional pages}

 The PAR Copyright Release and Signature Page must be submitted by FAX to 732-562-1571 before this PAR will be sent on for NesCom and Standards Board approval.

FIVE CRITERIA

(These 5 Criteria are presented for internal 802 use; these will be removed from the PAR before submission to NesCom).

1 Broad Market Potential

A standards project authorized by IEEE 802 shall have a broad market potential. Specifically, it shall have the potential for:

a) Broad sets of applicability.

b) Multiple vendors and numerous users.

c) Balanced costs (LAN versus attached stations).

The use of Ethertypes as a protocol identification mechanism is widespread across the LAN industry. This amendment to Standard 802 will be applicable to all potential developers of protocols for LAN use, and to the users of those protocols.

2 Compatibility

IEEE 802 defines a family of standards. All standards shall be in conformance with the IEEE 802.1 Architecture, Management and Interworking documents as follows: 802. Overview and Architecture, 802.1D, 802.1Q and parts of 802.1f. If any variances in conformance emerge, they shall be thoroughly disclosed and reviewed with 802.

Each standard in the IEEE 802 family of standards shall include a definition of managed objects which are compatible with systems management standards.

This project will define an addition to the 802 Overview and Architecture standard.

3 Distinct Identity

Each IEEE 802 standard shall have a distinct identity. To achieve this, each authorized project shall be:

a) Substantially different from other IEEE 802 standards.

b) One unique solution per problem (not two solutions to a problem).

c) Easy for the document reader to select the relevant specification.

There is no other 802 standard that offers the capabilities proposed.

4 Technical Feasibility

For a project to be authorized, it shall be able to show its technical feasibility. At a minimum, the proposed project shall show:

a) Demonstrated system feasibility.

b) Proven technology, reasonable testing.

c) Confidence in reliability.

The mechanisms developed under this project will leverage existing, proven techniques of protocol and version identification, including those used for the existing SNAP mechanism.

5 Economic Feasibility

For a project to be authorized, it shall be able to show economic feasibility (so far as can reasonably be estimated), for its intended applications. At a minimum, the proposed project shall show:

a) Known cost factors, reliable data.

b) Reasonable cost for performance.

c) Consideration of installation costs.

Costs are not expected to differ from the costs associated with existing Ethertype use, other than the fact that use of these mechanisms will avoid incurring the cost of an Ethertype registration on the part of the protocol developer.