Re: [802SEC] let's sell the approved 802.16 draft+=Response++

Hello Roger:

I talked to Markus Plessel and unfortunately the draft is posted, but is
not showing on the catalog due to some problems that took place during
system upgrades.

This is a one time incident since the people responsible for fixing these
problems in the IT Dept., are on vacation this week.  We apologize for the
inconveniences this may be causing.

The good news is that if you call Customer Service at the information
below, you will be able to order the draft.  Therefore, we would recommend
to put a temporary  link in your web site to the following information:

IEEE Customer Service
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331
Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331,USA

PHONE:
+1 800 678 IEEE (in the US and Canada)
+1 732 981 0060 (outside of the US and Canada)

FAX:
+1 732 981 9667
E-MAIL: customer.service@ieee.org

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience and reiterate our
willingness to do our best within our capabilities.

Happy Holidays and Prosperous New Year.

Angela Ortiz
Program Manager - Technical Program Development
__________________________
IEEE Standards, 445 Hoes Lane,
Piscataway, NJ  08855-1331 USA
Telephone: 1732-562-3809  ><  Fax: 1732-562-1571
E-m:  a.ortiz@ieee.org   ><   www.standards.ieee.org

FOSTERING TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION

                    "Roger B. Marks"
                    <r.b.marks@ieee.org>              To:     a.ortiz@ieee.org
                    Sent by:                          cc:     stds-802-sec@ieee.org
                    owner-stds-802-sec@majordom       Subject:     Re: [802SEC] let's sell the approved
                    o.ieee.org                         802.16 draft

                    12/17/2001 07:05 PM

Angela,

Thanks for your note last week. I appreciate you looking into this
and trying to get it fixed by today. However, the web site still says
"Product No Longer Available", and I continue to field complaints
from people who can't buy it.

I don't really understand the position "an approved draft supersedes
an older version". If a draft is approved, then it IS the most recent
version, and will remain so until publication.

Thanks for trying to solve the problem in this case. I hope it can be
solved more generally.

Roger

>Hello Roger:
>
>"Can you look into this and tell me why the draft is longer available? Is
>it a policy to remove drafts from the catalog once approved?"
>
>A/ It is more a procedure than a policy, since an approved draft
supersedes
>an older version.
>
>Linda and Markus are checking into the matter.  It should show up on
>Monday.
>
>Have a good weekend.
>
>Angela O.
>Angela Ortiz
>Program Manager - Technical Program Development
>IEEE Standards, 445 Hoes Lane,
>Piscataway, NJ  08855-1331 USA
>Telephone: 1732-562-3809  ><  Fax: 1732-562-1571
>E-m:  a.ortiz@ieee.org   ><   www.standards.ieee.org
>
>FOSTERING TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION
>

>                     "Roger B. Marks"
>
>                     <r.b.marks@ieee.org>              To:
>a.ortiz@ieee.org
>                     Sent by:                          cc:
>k.mccabe@ieee.org, j.t.walker@ieee.org,
>                     owner-stds-802-sec@majordom
>stds-802-sec@ieee.org
>                     o.ieee.org                        Subject:
>[802SEC] let's sell the approved
>                                                        802.16 draft
>

>                     12/13/2001 05:37 PM
>

>Angela,
>
>Following the approval of 802.16, IEEE-SA put a press release both at the
>top of its own site and on Business Wire <
>http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.120701/213412218>.
>The release has been picked up widely and is now repeated on many web
>sites.
>
>In order to help sell the draft, the press release includes the URL to the
>802.16 publication list <http://WirelessMAN.org/published.html>.
>
>Unfortunately, this won't help to sell drafts, because the URLs to the
>product (both PDF and softcover) now both return the message "Product No
>Longer Available."
>
>I have searched the IEEE Catalog in many different ways but have found no
>sign of the draft.
>
>Can you look into this and tell me why the draft is longer available? Is
it
>a policy to remove drafts from the catalog once approved? If so, I would
>recommend a different policy. I request that, since we have advertised the
>product widely, we put it back in the catalog.
>
>Regards,
>
>Roger
>

>      Karen,
>
>      Thanks for getting the IEEE 802.16 press release onto the IEEE-SA
>      front page:
>
>              http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/80216app.html
>
>      While I knew that IEEE had trademarked "WirelessMAN", I was
surprised
>      to find the trademark symbol attached to "802.16" (in 12 places).
I'd
>      like to better understand exactly what the trademark covers. I'm a
>      little confused by the press release's statement that "IEEE Std
>      802.16, WirelessMAN is a trademark of the IEEE." Exactly what term
is
>      trademarked?
>
>      [By the way, I didn't find "802.16" on the USPTO site <
>      http://tess.uspto.gov>. (I did, however, find "802" registered to
IEEE