Re: [802SEC] RE: <802.11Technical> IMPORTANT-ACTION REQUIRED FOR BRIEF EMAIL B ALLOT

Members of 802.11,

I would urge all members to review the 802.11 WG Operating rules, section
2.8.2, sited by Bob O'Hara, regarding the present TGG Draft email ballot
before they vote in this important issue on whether to go to WG Letter
Ballot on the draft.  I would stress that all members should understand and
interpret this section themselves. As chair I am seeking the viewpoint of
the members from the minority and majority stance before going forward with
any action. Hopefully with a consensus view. I would also ask members to
refer to 802 Operating Rules as well.

The other thing that has become clear is, OUR rules are not clear, and need
urgent revision to make them workable, and become understood by all. The
other area is the definition of a quorum at Interim meetings, and the
empowerment motions we are using for work to be completed at interims. This
latter area has been raised many times at the 802 SEC, and needs to be
resolved promptly. Which I have raised once again with the 802 Chair, and
urge him to address this early on in the week at the St. Louis plenary meeting.

Finally, this current ballot LB# 31 began on Friday, January 25th, 2002 and
WILL END at 2359 CST on January 30,2002. So I empress upon you all to vote
before the close.

Stuart J. Kerry

At 04:50 PM 1/26/02 -0800, Bob O'Hara wrote:

>As I pointed out at the closing plenary (and will no doubt be pilloried for
>mentioning here) the TGg draft does not meet the requirements set forth in
>our operating rules to be sent for letter ballot.  The operating rules state
>the following:
>
>2.8.2 Draft Standard Balloting Requirements
>Before a draft is submitted to WG letter ballot it shall in addition have
>met the following requirements:
>a)    It must be complete with no open technical issues.
>
>And
>
>e)   It must be approved for submittal to WG ballot at the 802.11 WG closing
>plenary.
>
>It is clear that the draft created at the interim meeting does not meet
>either of these criteria.
>
>The first criterion is debatable.  Some may consider that the lack of a
>PICS, of MIB additions, and of changes to the MAC state machine that
>correspond to the changes to the MAC proposed in the text do not constitute
>"incompleteness".  I disagree.  You are asked by this motion to judge the
>technical completeness, not technical correctness of the draft.  Each of the
>items listed here would require a 75% approval to include in the draft.
>They are therefore technical.  Their lack in the draft makes it incomplete.
>Look at the 802.11b supplement to the 802.11 standard fro an example of what
>is required to be complete.
>
>You will be told that "this is the way it has been done before.  Look at
>802.11b, it is still not correct, we just had to do that corrigendum thing."
>This is a red herring, attempting to make you look away from the real issue.
>The corrigendum has to do with CORRECTNESS, not COMPLETENESS.
>
>You, as a voting member of 802.11, are being asked to make a significant
>investment of your time to conduct a full technical review of a draft
>standard, at the risk of losing your voting rights if you do not respond.
>It is incumbent on the task group creating this draft to have completed its
>work, to the best of its ability and knowledge, before asking you to accept
>this obligation.  It is my opinion that they have not completed their work.
>It was stated in the January closing plenary that the editor "was working on
>the MIB text".  Obviously, the task group knows the draft is not complete,
>if the editor is working on text creation.
>
>The second criterion is not debatable.  This draft was not approved at any
>802.11 WG closing plenary.  Even if the plenary in November "empowered" the
>action proposed by this motion, it did so in violation of its own operating
>rules.  This draft did not exist in November and was in no way "approved" at
>that time.  This draft also was not approved in the closing plenary of the
>802.11 WG in January.
>
>Contrary to the statements made in the email announcing this ballot, there
>ARE certain procedures required to forward a draft to WG letter ballot.
> [...]

Bob Heile, Ph.D
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Personal Area Networks
Chair, ZigBee Alliance
11 Louis Road
Attleboro, MA  02703
Phone: 508-222-1393