Re: [802SEC] Coexistence TAG proposal

Jim,

Thanks for the chance to preview this.

What I'm seeing here is a proposal for "a committee that reviews and
makes coexistence recommendations to ExCom on current or proposed
PARs and WG draft standards".

I'm surprised that this proposal doesn't mention tasking a
coexistence TAG to write PAR and then a Recommended Practice on
coexistence. Paul mentioned this idea at the Sunday rules meeting; I
liked the idea a lot and it it seemed to have some traction. It's
been the basis of every discussion I've had this week on the purpose
of the coexistence TAG.

The proposal does say: "First order of business: Define Coexistence
and the Recommended Procedures for establishing whether a draft has
adequately addressed coexistence." Sounds similar to Paul's
suggestion, but I don't like it as such. I think that this kind of
work deserves the full balloting machinery. I also think that, if
successful, the result would be widely influential and therefore
worthwhile as a published IEEE Recommended Practice.

There seems to be wide recognition that there is no point in trying
to assess whether coexistence has been achieved until there is a
clear and specific view of what that means. Balloted or not, I think
creating this view will take a long time, and it not guaranteed to
reach a result. Given this time delay and uncertainty, I think that
the proposal is ahead of itself in its focus on how it will evaluate
PARs and drafts. I think we should postpone any request for such a
charter until after the TAG has concluded the Recommended Practice on
which it expects to base its evaluations.

My position on this issue has evolved and is evolving, and I am open
to further enlightenment. However, at the moment, I prefer Paul's
idea.

Roger