RE: [802SEC] Get802 Program SEC ballot

I agree with Howard's points 1 and 2, but I think that it
is unlikely that the desired level of funding will be
secured. When we were setting up the program (before the
economic downturn) it was already clear that there was
little interest from the corporations in sponsorship.

Here is my perspective on why:

I know that Agilent already subscribes to an IEEE program
that allows download of various IEEE publications including
the standards. Probably many of the other large corporations
do so. Therefore, making IEEE 802 standards available to
their own employees isn't a reason to support Get802. They are
already paying for them bundled with enough other things that
the price for their subscription wouldn't be changed by taking
Get802 out.

I think the advertising benefit of a sponsorship is a
difficult proposition. The exposure of having a logo on
the website has minimal value. The other possiblity is
a charitable contribution, but most of the corporations
have a lot more compelling possiblities for charitable
contributions then free standards for underprivileged
engineers.

Pat